any one evr do a lt1 into a g body

mikesfastss

mikes fast ss
i have an impala ss drietrain and harness(96) im thinking about installing it in my 87 monte ss,any tech would be greatly apppreciated.sorry if this is the wrong area im new to the site.thanks alot . mike:confused:

I know someone that put an LT4 with a turbo in a GN. He got the LT4 from a wrecked Firehawk.

Any specific questions?

off the top of my head.
Right side motor mount will need to be flipped( they used them upside down in lt1 b bodies)

B body accessories will have the best fit for G body. They fit tighter to the motor, giving more idler arm/frame space.

G body headers will bolt right up, but you will want to check the ports.
They will sit slightly different on the heads, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Iron head valve springs are garbage. Do yourself a favor and change them before putting the motor in.

B body wire harness you have will put the pcm behind the left front headlight, f body will put it into the HVAC box, Y body is by the brake booster.

Check the montecarloss.com forum. I know my fiance has kicked the idea around doing this with his 87 Monte Carlo SS.

May want to investigate getting LT4 accessory brackets, pulls all of the accessories up to the top, instead of down at the bottom. For an LT1 to fit in my truck I would have had to notch the frame rail for the AC compressor. LT4 was a drop in, but cost wise it may be easier to notch what is needed if anything for a g-body. I got an LT4 out of a wrecked GS vette and transplanted to my '94 Silverado.
You can pick up stock LT1 aluminum heads from f-bodies for around $100-200 and then have a good LT1 porter work them over to flow as much as the aftermarket heads. Lloyd Elliot is known for his head packages with stock casting heads, Lloyd eportworks He also does intake porting. I have the LE2 heads and intake on my '95 TA.
You'll want to replace the opti too while its out..maybe you already know alot about the LTx, but AC Delco only optis, the rest seem to be crap or no better, and you can get them for around $250 from either of these sources..all GM parts at near wholesale in fact from Jason or Dal
4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

Have any other LTx questions, ask or go to CamaroZ28.Com Message Board and go to the LT1/LT4 section.

Not in a g-body, but it still looks good :)
lt4motor1.jpg

Actually the best fit motor for this swap into a G body comes from the Vette. It puts the AC & Power steering pump near the factory location. I have the F body version, & did not have to notch the frame. Lots of people say you have to, but I didn't. Try & find a fuel tank & sending unit from an injected Monte or Turbo Buick. I just used the sending unit & pump from the Buick, works fine, but doesn't have the baffles for when fuel is low. John Spears at speartech.com modified the factory LT1 harness for me. I used Impala SS cooling fans, factory style Monte radiator. Don't have the AC connected yet, but you will probably have to have special hoses made.

Scot