any need for a 250 FT-LB torque wrench on TRs ?

tom h

I have a chance to pickup a lightly-used Snapon 250 ft-lb torque wrench at a pretty good price. I already have a craftsman 150 ft-lb wrench that is satisfactory.

Offhand, I don't really see much need for anything over 150 ft-lbs, except possibly for reinstalling the crank balancer assembly -- which I don't have any immediate plan to do!

Am I overlooking any other potential uses for a 250 ft-lb wrench?

Only bolt I can think of that calls for more than 150 is the balancer bolt. I think it's like 225 or something like that. So buying a wrench for just one bolt doesn't seem too cost effective to me..:)

I have a chance to pickup a lightly-used Snapon 250 ft-lb torque wrench at a pretty good price. I already have a craftsman 150 ft-lb wrench that is satisfactory.

Offhand, I don't really see much need for anything over 150 ft-lbs, except possibly for reinstalling the crank balancer assembly -- which I don't have any immediate plan to do!

Am I overlooking any other potential uses for a 250 ft-lb wrench?

Unless it is at a great price. You should not need it. Me I like tools and have a bunch, I would buy it if the price was right.

I would agree that no need for one bolt. However great tool at a great price is another thing. I do have to inject one thing though. When it comes to a good torque wrench do not by cheapies. I have a number of them and my most reliable is my snap on and sears digital. I do usually get them calibrated every couple of years for long service. I have an older sears torque wrench that I use alot. Since my digital gets calibrated I use it to calibrate my old click type torque wrench from sears. Year after year even at 100 foot lbs that old sears is pretty much on the money. I have had it for 10 years now.

Now if I could only afford one of these.

VERSAMETER, Torque Acquistion Meter, Electronic