Any legal people in here?

87grandnat

I have a question about background checks that I cant find a answer too. I am tying to findout when a felony stops showing up on a background check? I know that most places look 7 years back, but my question is does that 7 years start when you were arrested? when you were convicted? or when you completed a probation period if there was one (I had 5 years probation) I think it starts from the date you were convicted of the crime but am not sure and really need to know.

Thanks for any help,
Joshua

I could be wrong, but I thought a felony stays on your record indefinetly. Not like a speeding ticket.

It does, unless it was deffered which mine wasnt :frown: but most jobs (unless its a big time place or position i.e. goverment) looks back 7 years, but anyways I found my answer, atleast for the place I am considering which is a trucking company and they dont want a felony conviction in the past 7 years

thanks,
Joshua

A felony remains on your criminal history forever unless it is expungeable. if it has been seven years, speak with an attorney to see if you can have it expunged.

yeah i already tried that about a year ago....they told me that i couldnt have it expunged because it wasnt deffered....from what he told me having it expunged would just make it capable to have it removed without having to wait for a probation period to be completed for it to fall off. So if i had 5 years probation i could have had it expunged after say a year and just completed the probation without the charge showing on my record, Someone else told me you could have almost anything expunged but this is just what a lagal attorney told me

thanks for the help anyways,
Joshua