any Honda CBR owners?

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
I'm looking to get into a sport bike, probably a CBR 600 F4 and I just wanted to know if there are any that I should stay away from...I've heard the F4i are bad, fuelie injection sys is shotty. But that's about all I know.

Thanks!

Well...I have a sportbike, just not one of those. But I would say that if I was to buy a CBR I would want an older (early to mid '90s) CBR900RR, but that's just because I liked that body style; especially the red, white, and blue paint scheme.

I owned a 01 F4i. Didnt have one problem with it. A friend of mine had one and put 20000 miles on it in a year and a half and did nothing but tires and oil changes. The fuel inj. setup is PGM FI. Its the same system that they used on their cars for years. If it was my money I would buy the F4i. But this is just my 2 cents.

James hondatech78@yahoo.com:)

I had a 96 CBR 600 F3. LOVED IT.

I did 6700.00 damage to a 7200.00 bike and called it quits :)

I own an 02 F4i. I wouldn't have a bike that's not fuel injected. I've had zero problems and mine is modified - of course! Great bike - you can't go wrong with one from 2001 up!

Thanks guys, I went and looked at a 2004 600F4i yesterday for $6995, but what caught my eye was the RC-51 AMA superbike replica that was at the dealer. :eek: I could really see myself sitting on that one....until I cracked the throttle :D

I don't know if the guy at the dealer was just mistaken or if he had a point, but he told me that there are differences between the 600RR and 600F4i other than the PGM FI. He said that they were on different chassis and that the F4i doesn't handle as well as the RR. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Can't confirm, but I'd venture to say that unless you're a professional racer, either one will out-handle your abilities.:eek:

I had an 01 F4i and loved it. Handled so neutral and was so easy to ride I started to get too comfortable and scared myself enough to know it was time to quit.
Awesome bike though.

The 600RR is the updated version of the F4i. Its a completely different machine. You couldnt go wrong with either one. As for the RC51. That is one hell of a bike. But its a twin and some guys dont like them. My TL1000 is a twin, and after owning it I will never go back to a 4 cyl bike. But its all a matter of preference.

James

The F4i is more everyday friendly. The 600RR is a race oriented bike. The F4i is more forgiving for street riding. They are built on entirely different chassis and the engines are different as well. Even thought the RR is the race/track version, it is actually a little heavier than the F4i. In a dragrace, they are about the same with the F4i maybe having a slight advantage due to less weight. If you have the skills, the RR will absolutely smoke the F4i on a track. Personally, I rarely ride that hard so the F4i is the better choice for me! Hope this helps!;)

The F4i is a good beginner bike and stunter bike. If you are wanting a nice 600 class look at the 05 ZX6r 636 Ninja's,,,they are top dog in the 600 world.

I wouldn't call and F4i a "beginners bike". A 100hp inline 4 is more than enough to get a beginner in serious trouble! A 600 v-twin would be a better choice for a beginner. My wife rides a Suzuki SV650S - excellent "beginner" sport bike - and it aint no slouch acceleration-wise either!!

I sold my 954rr last summer, it was an 03 and definately had some handling issues, it would go into a tank slapper quick, there were some geometry problems that were corrected with the 04 bikes. It was however, fast as hell!!! Third gear wheelies were not a problem. No 600 has the "hit" like a liter bike but they generally are easier to ride and control for a first time rider. If I were buying a 600, I would consider the R6 Yam too.

I own a 03 954RR.......
03_954rr.jpg

Originally posted by Bent6
I wouldn't call and F4i a "beginners bike". A 100hp inline 4 is more than enough to get a beginner in serious trouble! A 600 v-twin would be a better choice for a beginner. My wife rides a Suzuki SV650S - excellent "beginner" sport bike - and it aint no slouch acceleration-wise either!!

The SV600s is not a sport bike!!! A sport bike has full fairing and races on the AMA circuits and yes the F4i (not the 600rr) along with the Yami YZF600r (not the R6) the Kawi ZZR600 (not the ZX6r or ZX6rr) and the Suzi Katana 600 (not the GSXR 600) are all considered beginner sport bikes.

Have you ever ridden a SV650? I would consider it more of a sport bike then a Katana. I know it handles better and its probably faster. If I was going to recommend a bike to start on it would definetly be a SV650! Hell, if I lived someplace where I could ride year round I would buy a used one for a daily driver. It is one of the easiest and funnest bikes ive ever ridden.

James

I didn't say they weren't fun to ride,,hell I'd ride an SV any day over a Katana. I personally don't think a Katana is a sport bike but Suzuki says different classifies it as so.

I have a buddy that Rides an SV1000 with the full farring added, it looks great and I love the sound of the V-twin.