Any Good Machinsts Out There?

DoWork

I have seen a few of you guys say that you are machinists, and I have also seen more than a few of yall fab up some pretty cool stuff. Long story short, I need help with a little project of mine. I need a small vacuum restrictor pill made up. If anyone thinks they might be able to help me out....please, let me know! I can show you exactly what I am talking about at that point....I just need to find the specs/pics of it.

I had to find what I was looking for, plus, I was kinda embarrassed as its not a TB.....heck, its not even American lol.

Here is a link to it...

Vacuum Restrictor Pill Notes

If you scroll down to the bottom, you will see a section on mechanical tuning of the stock boost control system. There are pictures and specs there of what I am looking for. It also tells the specs of the pill in the begining of the document under the "critical information" portion.

Now, I tried to get one right from Subaru as the pill is absent in my car, but they cannot figure out what I am talking about. I even brought in a printed version of the .pdf to show them. I also tried speaking to some folks on Subaru forums, but everyone who still has their pill from their STi is not giving it up in case the want to go back to a stock turbo.

Thanks in advance!
-Todd

A couple of questions...

Do you have the pill at all? I read the instructions and it didnt say anywhere what the factory O.D. of the pill was did it?

With the modification you are doing, you need to make the hole larger right? What size hose is the pill in (5mm, 6mm, 7mm)?

You want the I.D. to be .043 correct?

My dad is a machinist and has made numerous parts for my car and could make this easily, but would need the above info to properly make it.

Jerry Berger jr.

I have no pill at all right now. From what I understand, that should be the size of the stock STi pill, but I am not certain. My car currently has an EVO III 16g on it, and I do not like it at all. Its WAY too laggy for what I plan to use the car for. I need to check what size the vac line is. I guess I should have brought that to the table in teh first place. You are correct, I need the hole to be .043 for this sytem to work correctly. I will do my best to collect the set of the necessary info tomorrow if I can find time in the day.

I’ve used ball-ends from guitar strings for this sort of thing before. I only pulled one set to check; and the ID was 0.080”; OD was 0.150”. I know I’ve seen smaller ID.

You could get one with a 0.080” ID; and choke it with a piece of .065 guitar string soldered to the end. That would wind up with an open area about like a 0.040” hole. A set of 6 steel acoustic strings would set you back about $5 at Guitar Center. Getting a pill made at a machine shop would probably start at $60.

A carburetor jet kit would be about $50; and probably start out too big.

Good luck,

Joe