Any computer GURU's in here????

charleslong

Well, I normally dont have a problem with computers, but this one is "P" me off. I am having a problem installing windows 2000 on it. I built the computer almost 2 years ago, but it started having memory problems. So I fix the memory problem and when I try and install windows, it formats the HD, then starts putting it on. When it restarts, it gives me a message on things to do if its the first time getting the message (blue screen). The stuff didnt work, so I try putting in a floppy to boot from, and it tellls me I/O error.
Charles

Sounds like you may still have some memory problems to me, or possibly some other hardware issues. Take all the cards out but video, and try some different memory if you can, hopefully its not in the board. Hth and good luck.

To test your ram try the program at www.memtest86.com

Will definitely let you pinpoint or eliminate the ram as a problem. Also if you write down the exact BSOD information when it first crashes, we might be able to help as well.

Originally posted by lp2
To test your ram try the program at www.memtest86.com

Will definitely let you pinpoint or eliminate the ram as a problem. Also if you write down the exact BSOD information when it first crashes, we might be able to help as well.

Thanks guys, I am at work now, but when I get home I will let you guys know whats going on with the system.

also, when I first tried to install the OS on the computer, it actually installed. Then I upgraded to xp professional, and at about half way through the xp installation it said that the cd key was invalid, but it worked when I first set it up. Now im just trying to get windows 2000 on there.
Charles

Couple things to try;

As already mentioned, unplug everything except vid card.

Doe the clock still keep time in the BIOS? If not then your battery is probably dead (causes all sorts of other problems too)

Have you done a complete scandisk check of your hard drive?? if not it might have errors on it causing your headaches. You can do a CHKDSK under the win2k install disk, just choose repair and console then type chkdsk /? for the options and check it with the most thorough option (/r I think)

Whats up guys, I checked the cmos battery, and it was fine.
Finally got the OS loaded on the hard drive, and when the computer starts up, it act like its going to load up. (windows 2000 screen comes up) then I get this blue screen, that says stuff like if this is your first time seeing this message to restart. This is also in the message stop and a bunch of numbers and then this inaccessible_boot_device. What the heck is this stuff, I have never experienced these type of errors. Also the computer did let me boot it up in to safe mode. So far the video card is the only thing in the computer besides the cdrom, hd and floppy.
If anyone has ever had this problem, let me know what you did to fix this.
Thanks
Charles

did you have win2k on it before? if you built the computer be sure the hardware you used is compatible with the 2k software. that could also be the problem, try a winme or 98 as a test

Did you run the memory tester? At this point I would bet the farm that your board is toast, or you still have a memory issue. What kind of board is it?

Originally posted by arista5
did you have win2k on it before? if you built the computer be sure the hardware you used is compatible with the 2k software. that could also be the problem, try a winme or 98 as a test
Hello, thanks
I was going to install win 98 se and ME, but when I put the floppy in the drive, and try to boot from it, it said I/O error. I forgot what this error meant. So I couldnt get windows 98 or me on the hd.
Charles

Originally posted by striker_29
Did you run the memory tester? At this point I would bet the farm that your board is toast, or you still have a memory issue. What kind of board is it?

I tried two different memory sticks, and one is kingston, and I forgot what the other kind was, but its name brand. Both of the memory sticks work in my computer. I hope that the motherboard isnt out.
Charles