Any Clearance Issues with 3inch GN1 Exhaust

Rotti54

Hey guys, I picked up a 3inch Stainless Exhaust from GN1 Performance and Im trying to decide what driveshaft to go with. I wanted to go 3.5 aluminum but was worried about clearance issues? Are any of you running this combo and if so does the shaft contact the exhaust???

Thanks Paul just didnt want to order the driveshaft and have it make contact with the exhaust.

the alum drive shaft is 1/4" larger than the 3" ,not that there should be any clearance issues but if it was installed 1/4" lower there shouldnt be any issues vs running a 3" shaft

I have a 3.5 dia shaft and old school ATR dual 3's. I make it easier to remove/install the driveshaft by taking the exhaust loose by the cat hangar so the exhaust drops down giving me clearance. I have to fit the shaft in over the axle to slide it into the trans and then slide the rear joint in from the top down. It is a pita, and there's no rubbing yet it is tight in there, but it all fits fine.

the question wasnt about installing a 3.5 shaft , 1952 ray claims it wont work with a 3.5 shaft , or atleast the one he got wouldnt
as far as atr goes ive had no issues with driveshaft working ,
thrlskrs car we installed the GN1 and had no issues with the dynotech 3.5 alum shaft. he just ordered the gn1 system (blk fri special) for his new stage2 car which should be arriving soon
the GN1 exhaust is close but clears the HR rear swaybars
hitting at ride height and normal driving i dont see happening unless youve got your rear jacked way up , though ive seen other gbodys that run with 4 inches over the tires .
now on a lift with rear hanging i can see where the shaft could hit the exhaust but thats because of shock travel and thats an issue to be taken up with your choice on the shock , i can tell you the comp eng shocks are too long and let the rear hang too low , great for getting springs out but it usually rubs the exhaust fix is get a shorter rear shock or put a travel limiter strap on the rear if you plan to raise car on a lift

Last edited:
the alum drive shaft is 1/4" larger than the 3" ,not that there should be any clearance issues but if it was installed 1/4" lower there shouldnt be any issues vs running a 3" shaft

I cannot, will not dispute anything pacecarta has to say about alum drive shaft clearing the exhaust. As he has far more experience and knowledge then I have or most on this forum. All I'm saying is when my people got the drive shaft in it was rubbing big time. This was one time I was unwilling to beat, bang,use a crow bar, lower the exhaust to make it work. Now most things I have put on this car,I did have to beat,bang,re drill to make it fit. I think the RJC FM is the only thing that just drop in. Now I gave the aluminum drive shaft to my grandson ( he still has stock exhaust ) and it drop in fine.

problem with the overseas stuff is the bends dont always comeout like they plan , like downpipes , even though one may slide right in another will hit the frame or have other clearance issues , the 3.5 china pipes are one of those that one goes great and then another supposed to be the same needs to be cut to fit
when it comes to exhaust you get to play the how far can i push it this way and that way to make it clear , sometimes flexing pipe , twisting the tailpipes toclear springs and swaybars , changing the hanger heights and once its in and not touching anything i usually end up tacking the joints so it stays there, the atr wasnt much better becuase 3" is tight but it could be installed to fit . having aftermarket upper conrtol arms helps with the tailpipe clearance
have one to do soon from GN1 and ill let you know how the new stuff compares to the older stuff

Wow pacecarta, TurboTnZO6, and 1952ray I appreciate all of the input. I dont want to bend or bang on it but if i can make it work by adjusting hangers or elongating things a little I'm good with that! Thank you for all of your experiences and input thats exactly what i was looking for :)

My car does have Comp Engineering shocks so thats something to think about when it goes on a lift!