Any body stayed in maui?

tbkustomz

Turbo_T
getting married in 2 weeks and since bahamas has the most rain in sept and cancun has tropical storms maui is the place i want to go since its summer... i want to stay at a hotel that is near everything walking distance and had a swimmable beach ... any recommdations .. and should i rent a car

Kaanapali has the beach, and the sunsets. I have a timeshare in Kahana, just down the street from Kaanapali. you would be about 45 minutes from the airport. You'll need a car. Lahaina has alot of tourist stuff Banion Tree. I went snorkeling in Napili. I have never made it to Hana, wife gets car sick. Driving to the top of the Haleakala volcano was cool. we ate at Sam Satos noodle house, had hula pie (chocolate graham cracker crust, macadamia nut ice cream with whipped cream and hot fudge) at Kimos, went to alot of farmers markets. The Iao Needle is a nice place to see. You have to try GuriGuri, a frozen concoction that is a cross between sherbet and ice cream. We also found the Home maid bakery, which sells hot food for your flight home.

Yes get a car. My bro in law had his rental car attempted to be stolen on a deserted beach so be careful and don't leave valuables in site while parked. Definitely a lot of driving, stay away from the NE part of the island, the road is scary.

We did one of the nicer helecopter tours that flew all of maui and then over to the big island and flew over kilauea... the most active volcano in the world.... had hot molten lava continuously running into the ocean with steam coming off it. It was real cool.

We stayed near Kaanapali..... front street was kinda neat.

Pack a suitcase full of $$. Everything is high there.

We also did a dive at molokini crater... one of the better dive spots in the world.

I regret I didn't go see the Arizona Memorial over on Oahu......

Also buy some surf mocs over there before you attempt to go in the water at the beaches.... cause the sand is brought in..... just a short piece in the water off the sandy beach.... and there is extremely sharp lava rocks..... they will cut your feet.

much appreciated guys i heard it was really expensive out their but im planning to just realx and enjoy my time off and my honeymoon of course...probly do some tourist stuff but dont plan on doing much ..any hotels that you recommend

[quote="tbkustomz, post: ..any hotels that you recommend[/quote]

For us, a condo has always been the best place to stay, and turns out to be more convient and less expensive than a hotel.

You can use any beach, even at a resort hotel, as ALL beaches in Hawaii are open to the public. :)

As far as car rentals, you do need one, and the best rates I have received over the years have been from Priceline!

Do watch out for rogue waves, as last year a massive one threw me 15 feet up on the beach where I landed, and broke an ankle. At least it happened on our last day. :(

Here is a link for a typical condo rental:

http://www.vrbo.com/29816?similarlisting=true

Westin Kaanapali Villas. They are more like condos than a hotel. You can get a free shuttle from that Westin to the other one down the street for shopping/pool/food. Rent a car, its 45 min to airport and then you can drive down to Lahaina as mentioned before. Mama's Fish House on the north side of the island was the best food on the island (plan $200 for dinner for 2). We used a travel agent and the whole thing cost $1000 a day, 7 nights 8 days. I went fishing and caught a wahoo (ate it raw was delishinous) and a 701 lb marlin. There is a grocery store just north of Kaanapali to save some buck on food. Food is expensive there. Hope you like tuna and fish :) We had a blast and would do it again.

We put a thousand miles on our rental in 8 days in Maui. We stayed in a condo in Kapalua. Lahaina is really nice. Road to Hana is great, but I would drive all the way through vs just turning around. As mentioned above Mama's Fish house is one of the first stops on the road to Hana. Great food but expensive. Beautiful views too. The adventurous side of the Hana road is breathtaking. Take your snorkeling stuff wherever you go. It's awesome! Be sure to do a Luau. If you have the chance go to Pearl Harbor.

Yeah plan a whole day for the road to Hana all the way around. There is a waterfall to play in and rainbow colored trees at one point too. Fill up with gas and drinks, its a long drive, and bumpy.

Hana was the BIGGEST WASTE OF TIME
All the locals say how good it is but twice I went
And twice I said wtf that sucked
All day driving turn after turn

Some of the stuff there was very over rated
But I travel to Europe a lot and Hawaii beaches
Although nice are not spectacular

There nice Hawaii is nice
Nice to go visit
But after going twice Hawaii is done in my book

Enjoy your honeymoon

I bet you $100 after 5 days eating the same old
Complimentary breakfast your going to kill your self
Try and eat where the locals eat better food and
More economical and better

A really good resturaunt was IO ( i believe that is the name) forget if it was kanapanli or lahinia but we thought the food was great. We stayed in the kanapali condos. Good time,

If all you are going to do is stay in the condo.... you should book a condo in Gulf Shores and pocket about 10G...... the same thing would be accomplished..... :)

The road to Hana was not too bad, but I would recommend turning around no further than the park with the waterfalls. Beyond that the road is either unpaved, or ridiculously bumpy and takes a LONG time to get back around. Worst road I ever drove on for sure. Honestly I don't think any of the road to Hana was really worth all the time driving if you want a relaxing vacation.

We stayed at the Hyatt at Kaanapali it was very nice.