Any AV guys out there - need help with a Projector

Blown&Injected

Looking for a projector that works in a projection room that shines on a screen that is viewed from the other side - the conference room - it has a translucent screen with the projector pointed at the back. Does that make sense?

I thought that it would just be a simple menu option to set the projector to work as a rear projection unit but the people at the consumer electronics stores tell me that their projectors only work as front view as in it is in the same room and shines on a reflective screen.

TIA

I do av/tech support for a university and EVERY projector that we have on campus allows for rear projection. We have varying brands and models from consumer grade products to higher end commercial units for lecture halls.

You're correct in thinking it should just be a menu option. What brands/models were you looking at? What store? My guess would be that the folks at the consumer electronics stores didn't really know enough about that option (most consumers are interested in rear projection).

The current unit is a Sharp XG-P10XU.

You say most want rear projection??? I may be improperly using proper terms.

When I say rear projection projector, I mean the projector shines its image on the back side of the screen. All the projectors I have seen, except for this conference room, has the projector, in the same room as the people viewing, shining on either a white wall or reflective screen. They often are mounted on the ceiling.

The Sharp projector is just on a shelf about 10 feet from a translucent screen built into a wall. Then in a separate room on the other side of the wall are the viewing people.

So just a menu setting for many projectors to go from front view to rear view? I went to Circuit City, Best Buy, and a more professional place, Audio Visual Associates and told them about the set up and said it is a 3,000 lumen projector so I would like to keep it at the same brightness and be able to use the same connections - there are lots of cables going to the back of this thing

There shouldn't be too many cables going to the back of it. Probably a usb mouse setup, audio cables, a video cable and a power cord.