Antique tags on an '87 GN

Dabigguy

Pompous azz
Does anyone have Virginia antique tags on their '87? The wording on the DMV website is cryptic and when I stopped by the DMV office to ask, the woman tilted her head to the side and looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Can I get them this year, or wait until Jan?

I have them on my 86 GN, no more safety inspections, no more stickers on the windshield.
Mike

You should be fine . My 87 tags were renewed in May no more emissions. I opted to keep reg tags that way i can drive anytime anywhere.

Yes,both my cars have them. They make the GN look like it has no tags cause they are black. The T just got them last week still sitting on the trunk...too hot to drive at this time.

Someone at Summer Thunder told me that the restriction on driving with the Antique plates has been dropped. Check with DMV- also don't get the Tin Lizzy black plates , get the yellow/orange ones- JMTCW

Someone at Summer Thunder told me that the restriction on driving with the Antique plates has been dropped. Check with DMV- also don't get the Tin Lizzy black plates , get the yellow/orange ones- JMTCW
They did not give me that option. Per the website last mon there's still a restriction on drive...250 miles radius from the house and no DD must have another car and show proof at time of tag purchase.

I can tell you the orange ones you can get personalize. The black ones you get with they give you. I got my Orange tags and they still have the 250 mile rule and you must also show proof of a Daily Driver vehicle regisitered in your name.

I can tell you the orange ones you can get personalize. The black ones you get with they give you. I got my Orange tags and they still have the 250 mile rule and you must also show proof of a Daily Driver vehicle regisitered in your name.
After some digging on the site I found the Black/yellow(orange) tags. I think I will get these in the near future...they would be a better choice IMO.

After some digging on the site I found the Black/yellow(orange) tags. I think I will get these in the near future...they would be a better choice IMO.

Steve, would you be kind enough to show me where on the site you found the black/yellow(orange) tags? I tried and couldn't find the information these guys are talking about. I'd like to see what they look like.....are you saying these tags don't have to renewed every year, as my GN is an '87. I have permanent tags on my '69 Vette, vintage '69 Virginia tags. With these, no inspections, stickers, all of that crap.

Are these black/yellow tags giving the same conditions? I.e., no inspections, no emmisions, like permanent tags? Your opinion on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Yellow tags have same restrictions yes no emiss and insp. To view yellow tags go to
dmv.com this will bring you to home page
on your right of page click on special plates box
on this page click A
5 tags down is the tag

Frank has the info..I will ad that there's a 250 miles driving radius limit...not that should be a problem for any of us. They are perminant.

The Historic plates in Missouri only allow a 100 mile radius to and from events and 1000 mile maximum per year. Also you must carry a mileage log that is up to date showing all miles driven. Too many restrictions to make it worth while for me...

Bryan

Thank you, Frank and Steve.....you clearly answered my questions....I went to the site, Frank, and followed your instructions, found the tag.....it's pretty nice and that's what I'll end up getting.......and the tag on my Vette is a real 1969 Virgina tag from that year....white with black letters, numbers.........and permanent....

Can't thank you guys enough, and I sure appreciate your help.....really good guys here. Thank you.:)

Bruce '87 Grand National

The Historic plates in Missouri only allow a 100 mile radius to and from events and 1000 mile maximum per year. Also you must carry a mileage log that is up to date showing all miles driven. Too many restrictions to make it worth while for me...

Bryan

And if Va was like that I would not bother either.....

Has anyone ever been stopped in VA with Antique tags? Thinking about this myself but the restriction on where you can drive seems like a problem. Plus the class 4 misdemeanor charge if they think you have violated the rules??? The wording I read said only to events, shows, and for repair work. Would that eliminate the casual weekend cruise??

Correction, it also says occassional pleasure trips within 250 miles... but who defines "pleasure trips"??

Correction, it also says occassional pleasure trips within 250 miles... but who defines "pleasure trips"??
They do..they would be????? But if the man stops you and you have work cloths on it would not look good :0) I will take my chances. I have had both buicks out in the 3 weeks weather has been nice.