Another (yawn)5.0 gets horsewhipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metal box and Six

Metal, most 10 and 11 sec Stangers I know start all kind of crap!!! It's the 8 and 9 sec guys that are quiet. You know, the one's on real 10.5's (26's, that is.) that bust out 5.6's and 70's. And never does one of the darth vader drivers start anything, . Yea, maybe I stirred things up a bit here, but it's been fun. And I've learned a couple of things. I'm not that bad of a guy, really.

And having my run on a couple tapes is better than getting it marked on a calendar, Mr. Six.

Can you even post videos on this board? How many posts do I have left before I can? lol...

Elmo,

Maybe you shouldn't have come on with such an attitude! Most guys on here are cool with Mustang owners. Some are Mustang fans as well, myself included. But yeah, there some guys that think if you own a Mustang you are a puss or wuss or whatever... They need to go to a NMRA or FFW event and see that Mustangs can actually be quick.

I think some guys just have never really seen a quick Mustang. A lot of the Mustang owners out there think their car is fast becuase it is probably the first musclecar they have ever owned!:)

Yep...

You're right!There are a bunch of stupid people driving Mustangs out there!! Not near as many driving those stupid fart mobile imports, but alot nonetheless. Which is why you usually find that Mustang drivers will race their own and bicker among themselves, while usually the Buick boys travel in packs and team up on other brands. As well as wear pocket protectors (snicker snicker). So how fast are the fastest full bodied Regals (say, similiar to a NMRA/FFW Outlaw Car) running? How about the all out cars like Dutt's old ride, or the one I saw on Leno one night?

Elmo, what couple of things have you learned from this thread if you don't mind me asking? I think you are still under the impression that mustangs are better in terms of performance once you're running in the 9's and 8's in the 1/4 and that is NOT the case cause there are guys on this board that have 8 and 9 second full weight (3700-3800lbs) TRs that run on 10.5 tires with a stock rear suspension and they still have full interiors (A/C, PS, radio, etc.)!!! If you don't believe me check out Cal Hartline's 9 sec. car (street driven GN) on his website www.hartlineperformance.com cause this car has run low 9's (should be high 8's very soon) and if you look at the engine pic it still looks like a stocker with a lot of chrome! Cal also builds some pretty fast turbo mustangs as you can see if you check out his customer's cars (the black Stang runs mid 8's @165+mph and the other Incon twin turbo Stang has run 9.08 @148mph)! The Stage II block is much stronger than the stock 109 block kind of like the SVO 351 block used by the Pro 5.0 guys and the Bowtie block used by the fast Chevy guys like Lawrence Conley's mid 6 sec Camaro. FYI, Kenny Duttweiler ran 6.89 @202mph with a Stage II twin turbo 274ci Buick V6 motor in his Olds bodied tube frame car (with the same motor in the heavier Buick body he ran 7.29 @190+mph) and keep in mind this was a door slammer!!! There are some heavy hitters still running Buicks in the NHRA like John Gallina who holds the record in the Super Stock class (aka SS/DX) running 8.02 @172mph with his destroked twin turbo Stage II Buick TR and I'm pretty sure Kent Rudbeck is still running in the NHRA with his TR that runs 7.80's @179mph.... Point being there are a good amount of fast Buicks (obviosuly there are more mustangs), so don't make yourself sound ignorant again by saying "And never does one of the darth vader driver start anything" cause you might lose some $$$ one day with that attitude;) :D

Oh BTW, if you check out Cal's 9 sec. car at the bottom of the page there is a link to Cal's Mustang Encounter that pretty much explains it all;)

Well,

Why do you not see these Buicks running NMCA Super Street? 7.40's would dominate. We have alot (and you do do down there, too)of 10.5w outlaw races. Slews of racers (there has to be 10 from Georgia alone) from around here. How bout' Pure Street? No Buicks that I know of that runs either one of these, Right? I'm not saying there aren't fast Buicks out there, but where are they all running? Buick only classes, like the ol' Bowling Green days? :confused:

Elmo, there are fast "street" 8 & 9 sec V8 nat. aspr. and V6 Turbo Buicks out there,you are looking in the wrong places. Over here in TN just 1 hour south of Nashville is a white T that'll run 8s and he drives it to town and rides it around all the time.

I use to own a Mustang (don't hold it against me) till I reformed and dicovered the Turbo Buick then a trip to the Buick Nats and I discovered the V8 Buicks.

My point is you probably didn't know what you was doing with your hot-air TR and didn't know anyone to teach ya.

If you like running top-end I know there is some TTAs in your area, look them up for a run. They'd be more of a top-end runner than a G-body regal, and would probably give you all you wanted.

Not flaming ya just pointing out something that has yet to have been stated.

Nooooooooooo!

I won't the Mustang thing against you, trust me.

Do you mean getting a TA or running a TA with my Stang? I don't care much for them, they handle super and are very quick. I'm too old now to hold em' wide open anymore anyway. And heck no I didn't know what I was doing back then. It was 1986 (you know, when everyone was ripping fuel injection off the brand new spanking Mustangs and slapping the carb on from the year before) and the 84' TR was a car you never saw modded then. I guess Kenne Bell was starting to get his fingers on a couple of the new intercooled models, but that was definitely another era then.

And I ran a TA one night in '93 or so. Had the blower on, was running 8.0's or so. I remember having to pull the emergency brake up to keep from rolling, cause some moron had us racing slightly downhill. Wouldn't have mattered anyway,he smoked me good, found out later it was a 7.4 car. Those sucka's hook, don't they?

Back in the day Alan Witter and Dale Cherry dominated the NSCA/NMCA Limited Street class (I think the class record was a 8.20 held by Witter's single turbo TR) and Dale Cherry did pretty damn good in the class as well running 8.30 @165mph with his '86 GN, but then they were told that they could not be allowed in the class cause the V8 guys were bitching and moaning kind of like when Buddy Ingersoll was running deep in the 7's with his twin turbo Stage II mechanical fuel injected Olds/Buick bodied car back in '86 and he was told to take a walk because he was dominating and the V8 guys didn't think it was fair (keep in mind they had a lot more cubes and 2 more cylinders)!!! I'm pretty sure the NMCA is letting them back in the class, but they are not letting them use anything bigger than a 76mm turbo cause they know the Buicks would dominate again:D Many of the Buick guys do still only run in the @ Bowling Green and Bristol (Buick only classes) because they are not allowed in certain classes without major changes and BS rules that limit them cause it would be too embarrassing to see a V6 Brick dominating once again!!! BTW, the NMRA was going to allow the V6 Buicks to run in the Pro-Modified class which is mostly a N/A V8 class, but when they saw that Terry Houston had run 8.60's @160+mph and Jim Byrne had run 8.64 @165+mph (both are Stage II motors with a single 3-bolt PTE-88 turbo, using production style heads/intake, and both have the stock rear suspension and weigh between 3300-3400lbs w/driver) they also said that they would have to think about it cause they know if the 88mm (biggest 3-bolt stock type turbo available) was allowed the Buicks would once again dominate:D Do you see the pattern:rolleyes:

Just so you guys don't get the wrong impression I am very aware of the potential of a Mustang and that of a GN(and realize that my hot air car is the underdog sfi TR).It would seem that most Mustangs that I run into(street) are pretty stock and most TR's I see are well modded. Occasionally I will see a stang running around that sounds mean but not too often.I am also aware there are heavy-slow and light+modified=fast stangs and can tell the difference.I am also very aware that this perticular convertible with 3 guys in it was a slow car BUT the driver of that convertible failed to recognize this fact.It is not my responsibility to inform my opponent that he is at a severe disadvantage and he should not bother wasting his time trying to run.I was pretty sure it was an easy kill before that light even changed but a kill is a kill and it was v-8 performance car v.s. v-6 powered family sedan of uncertain weight(reg says 3219 but I doubt it).I understand in the world of racing it was a very insignificant kill but it was a good clean fun run and there were probably a few people that thought the stang would easily get me and was educated otherwise (the main goal).I'm sure there are plenty of stangs out there that will eat this car alive,luckily I have not seen them.Elmo,you race at the track and I race on the street mainly because there is not a 1/4 mile track anywhere near here,wish there was that's for sure.I would agree that on the track my car would be victimized by fast fords and intercooled TR's(I will have one soon) but around here on the street the hot air seems to hold it's own and get me to work every day.Nothing like a little rolling rubber instead of coffee to get the day started! At least we can agree that RICERS SUCK anyways!:D

Maybe..

I'll put a post up and find out if there are limitations from some of these bodies.

Yea, I remember Ingersoll, he showed up with a whole crew that did (Was it the Buick Indycar team?) nothing but big buck Buick V6 powerplants, and he started smoking everyone's A$$ and people WERE squirting tears everywhere! Hahahahah glad you reminded me of that! Didn't he later try to get into Pro Stock or something and they outlawed fuel injection to keep him out?

One question. The NMRA is Mustang only, right?

True..

Damn things are different up there. It's the exact opposite down here.I can't remember the last time I saw a Buick make a pass at a local dragstrip. You can't go five blocks without a Stang or a dork import jumping on you though. I saw a nasty sounding Regal about a month ago going to work..that's it! I play on the street every once in a while, I ran a freind of mine in his lightly modded 02' last weekend (I don't have the blower/n20 hooked up right now, so stock mustangs and imports are fair game) Yes, we are lucky down here considering there are prob eight dragstrips that are within a reasonable driving distance here in NC. Most tracks down here are eighth mile (cept for Atlanta/Rockingham) which is great because you don't get your balls busted over a cage, battery mts, etc. Heck, at some of these redneck joints down here you can carry a passenger to let your competition have it during the pass lol. Eighth mile tracks are better for us Stang Bangers too because of the Buick top end rush.

And for the record, my 84 was no slouch, it ran like 9.30's in the eighth out of the box.

Elmo, sorry the NMRA was a typo I meant to say MMRA (Modern Musclecar Racers Association) and if you do a search on the user name "Tums" you will find a thread that was in the Turbo Lounge where Tums asked what was the fastest Buick V6 running with a 3-bolt turbo and he found out from me that they were running mid 8's with the PTE-88 3-bolt turbo (the biggest 3-bolt turbo available) and that is why he won't allow the 88mm 3-bolt turbo in the Pro-Modified class (he was considering allowing the 76mm turbo, but he probably won't cause they can still go low 9's which would still be to fast for the class):D

The only reason you don't hear about the 7-8 second TRs is because there are not that many when compared to the number of SSO/ 10.5" tire Mustangs. Remember, Fox Mustangs outnumber the Buicks like 50 to 1 (rough estimate).

But when you run into a 7-8 second Buick, look out! They will look pretty docile, but whoop ya a$$ if pushed! LOL :D

Originally posted by blackbuick87
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by TurboBuickSix
1987 Buick Grand National (astroroof)

1989 TTA #1322 (Cloth/HT)

1991 GMC Syclone #1406

1992 GMC Typhoon #2194

2000 SVT Lightning #4320

God?..... Is that you?.. Nice collection man!! I don't even want to know how you pulled off getting so many cool rides in one garage!! It must be difficult to decide what to take out for the day sometimes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He must not be married :D

Not to detract from a very interesting thread :rolleyes: which I cannot be bothered to actually read through, but yes I am married. And all the cars were purchased in the past 18 months so its a real test of our wedding vows. ;)

Originally posted by ALBERTAN

Not to detract from a very interesting thread :rolleyes: which I cannot be bothered to actually read through, but yes I am married. And all the cars were purchased in the past 18 months so its a real test of our wedding vows. ;)

Wow! Is your garage bigger than your house? LOLOL Lucky guy! :)

Metal-box brought up the most obvious reason why you don't see many TRs racing in the various classes (we are outnumbered big time by you Stang guys along with the Chevy and Mopar guys)!

Hey Dean..

Uhhh which one is the fastest? Get some freinds and line em' all up and make a video. (P.S. can we change the Pulley on the lit'n? It is a heavy beast, no?)

Yeah, a Lightning would be nice for a daily ride. I am either getting a LS1 or a Lightning this fall. Tough choice! :)

How about a new Cobra..

Have you seen those monsters? High 12's on street rubber from the factory. 15 hp from a filter change. 45 hp from exhaust. And if they respond to the pulley change like a lightening, they gonna be busting 11's (and Viper's, Z06's)easy. You may be able to reel one in for low 30's? If you think you see one parked somewhere, look at the Cobra's eyes behind the front wheels. They are red.

Status
Not open for further replies.