Another startup question (no cranking)

Weazel

This just in,alky is good
Hello,

Just got back from the track, DISAPPOINTING results (but aren't they always?) The biggest disappointment was the fact that my car was having intermittant starting problems. I pulled in for tech and shut it down. The guy asked me to start it in "D" to show it had a safety switch. Car didn't start (good). So I put it in "P". Key turns all the way, but car doesn't start (bad). The starter didn't even breath, the engine didn't crank at all. Just nothing.
So I half-azzed checked the wires, and couldn't find any obvious problem with grounds or the starter wire. I hooked up my power pack and tried to jump it. Same thing, starter didn't even budge. So figuring it was a starter malfunction. For kicks we tried to jumpstart it with a friend's car. It fired right up. It needed jumps the next 2 or 3 times I shut it off, but then it was fine :confused:

So today I go out and try to test it with DS hooked up. 11.5 volts with the key "on" and engine off. Cranking the motor, the voltage drops to 8-9 volts. I figured it'd drop some, but is this normal? Even with the low voltage, the engine fires up quickly, and then voltage is about 13.5 with the engine at idle.

Is the battery shot? I mean it didn't even budge the starter, I would think low voltage would just turn it more slowly. Could the starter be the problem? Alternator maybe (a track guy said he 'though' the alternator was kinda noisy, I didn't know if I should buy that diagnosis.)

Thanks a lot!!

I will guess that the starter or solenoid part of the starter is bad.

9 volts is fine whilst cranking. :)

Next time the car wont start, have a friend hold the key in the 'start' position and tap the starter with a hammer. If it starts up, then you know its the starter and not something electrical.

BOOSTD

Thanks for the advice. I spent the afternoon under the car, and removed the positive wires on the starter solenoid. They were pretty corroded, so I cleaned them up. Looking in the Chiltons they say when the engine's not cranking, check the starter solenoid ground wire. I found the "hot" wires on the front of the solenoid, but am not sure if I found the ground. There was a wire connected a few inches inboard of the positive cable. It ran back on the car, and up out of sight. I tried to trace it, but it's tough. Chiltons gives an exploded view of the starter motor, but not the solenoid. Any tips on the solenoid ground (where to find, where to trace to, blah blah blah) is appreciated!