Another PowerMaster question

Jeff

'87 GN (for sale)
Newbie here, again...
Was reading through the Poston catalog, and saw their warning sticker for the master cylinder which says not to overfill it or the brakes can overheat.
What's the story on filling the master cylinder when you have a PowerMaster?
Only had the car two weeks (as of today) and haven't bought any manuals yet, too busy at work...
Thanks,
Jeff

'87 GN - Bone Stock

Originally posted by Jeff
Newbie here, again...
Was reading through the Poston catalog, and saw their warning sticker for the master cylinder which says not to overfill it or the brakes can overheat.
What's the story on filling the master cylinder when you have a PowerMaster?
Only had the car two weeks (as of today) and haven't bought any manuals yet, too busy at work...
Thanks,
Jeff

'87 GN - Bone Stock

There are two half's to the reservoir. You'll notice that there's a left side (outboard), and then there's the right half (inboard, closest to engine). It's the inboard half that you DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT want to overfill.
Fill that half no more than half full, if even that.

The outboard half (closest to fender) can be filled to the full line.

What sort of surprise will you get if you overfill the inboard side over half?

I can answer that from my two weeks expereince...filled the MC one day, as it was leaking a bit from the pressure switch. Took a very short ride, less than 5 miles at only moderate speeds. Got back, the grease was cooking out of the grease caps on the hubs. I had no idea what had caused this at the time, I assumed the previous owner had either over or undertightened the spindle nut, or had overfilled the cavity with grease. After seeing the sticker in the catalog I realized that I must have overfilled the MC and thereby overheated the brakes as they had described.

Looks like I have alot to learn about these cars...and I thought it was just the Turbo that made it unique...

BTW, thanks for the quick response.
Jeff

Originally posted by John Larkin
What sort of surprise will you get if you overfill the inboard side over half?

That half of the reservoir is there for a place for excess fluid to move up into when needed. Too full, and you risk fluid pouring out all over everything!!!!!