Another piston and rod question

KnightRider

I have been doing searches regarding which pistons and rods to go in my engine build up. I have a 109 block and a turbo crank. I am going to add a girdle for sure, but I am not sure on rods and pistons. Everybody says something different, JE's, Diamonds, Stockers, Hypers. I am building the bottom of this motor to hold up to 10 second runs. Not saying I am going to run 10's because I know that it isn't an easy task. I just want to build it right the first time. Also as affordable as possible.

I guess my question is to you guys running stock bottoms ends what is the durability of you stock parts? Are you tearing down every year to check everything?

Thanks for the help

Stock rods and JE pistons in my motor, been running for 4 seasons now( a little over 400 passes), very reliable so far thankfully scince I dont have a trailer and it has to be driven to races. I do check the rod bearings during the off season and used to throw a fresh set of head gaskets on too but found the 9441PT's really hold up well. The set I just took off looked perfect after 2 years and 200+ passes, if I didnt have to get the valve guides done they would still be in there.

Best I've gone is 10.69 @ 125.8 at 3500lbs raceweight and this past year 10.77 @ 125.3 at 3700lbs.

HTH,
Steve

That is impressive. Are running stock crank as well?

I was thinking of running stock rods with JE's, but wasn't sure about how long the rods would hold up. I now see that they will. Thanks

rods

many people make a mistake of putting to hard of rods on the stock crank. Rods are like dampeners them selves. Aftermarket rods on a stock crank is a bad ideal, they are too hard and basically hammer the crank, if you go aftermarket steel rods, go with the matching crank, then the mains have to be modded too :eek: just put a set of pistons on the stockers, and polish the rods if you want, keep the oil off of them a little better, less rotating weight. put some good arps in the rods, and try to go with a full floating pin. Oh yeah, rods break mostly at the wrist pin, that is because of timing being off, if your car is tuned right, stocks will hold up very well, the ideal timing is combustion at the point where the piston is about to come down, not top dead center, that is where the hammering comes into play

Yes I run a stock crank.

TURBOELKY said:
just put a set of pistons on the stockers, and polish the rods if you want, keep the oil off of them a little better, less rotating weight. put some good arps in the rods, and try to go with a full floating pin.

I agree, except I have been told that you should not do a floating pin on the stock rods. Heard there's not enough meat there, could be wrong though.

Steve

So as long as your timing is right on then, whatever rods you have on there should be ok right?

I am going to go with the stockers, because of money and it looks like people are having good success with them.