Another "how to remove white stripe on bumper" thread

GNRick

Retired member
I tried the car wash method, kerosene, and paint thinner. All worked to some degree. The best one was 320 grit sand paper. It took some doing, but the stripe finally came off. I just got my bumpers powder coated (they look brand new) and couldn't see putting the molding with the white stripe back on. :biggrin:

I've found brush and roller cleaner found in the paint dept at Home Depot worked easy with a Q-tip:)

Of 3 brand new bumper strips I had one that peeled right off with my finger nail, one that came off with wd-40 and a q-tip, and one that needed paint thinner and elbow grease.

Are we talking about the strip across the bumper right about the driving lights? If so i'm glad you started this post. They don't look good on a black car.

Kirban had a tip several years ago to just keep going over it with a black markie pen until you get the results you re after.

I also found out that GM used a different size self cutting nut on the bumper strip than they used on the rear quarter windows. Required another trip to Lowes. And, one of the plastic studs on the front bumper strip that accepts the nut was almost broke off. I bought a hot glue gun for $5 from Lowes. I hope I can glue it back.

I also found out that GM used a different size self cutting nut on the bumper strip than they used on the rear quarter windows. Required another trip to Lowes. And, one of the plastic studs on the front bumper strip that accepts the nut was almost broke off. I bought a hot glue gun for $5 from Lowes. I hope I can glue it back.

I glued the stud on but it still broke completely off when I put on the nut. Oh well, the other studs are holding it plenty tight to the bumper.