Another Gear Question

Live4Boost

Word
Once again I am pretty new to the TRs. I bought my car with most of the mods listed in the sig. For some reason it has 3.90 gears in it and is running 26" tires. From what I have read most people seem to go with 3.73s or 3.42s. This car is strictly a weekend driver and I love going to the track. So with that in mind and based on my cars mods in my sig what gear would you guys suggest. I do also plan on running 28" tires this year. The best time the car ran with the 3.90s and 26" BFGs was 11.4 @ 118. I am hoping to pick up some time with the right gear and some 28" MT DRs.

Thanks
Bob

Well, most guys leave the 3.42's alone, but since you already have 3.90's and strange axles/30 splines, etc, you may just stick with what you got. I have heard of guys running out of RPM at the big end of the track with 26" tires, and that was with stock 3.42's. You may just try a set of 28's with your current setup. You may pick up a few MPH.

With your current setup did you find it running out of motor at the end of the 1/4?

Hi,
I'm not a weekend warrior, but I agree. Our engines are usually out of it by 6 grand, less with a stock cam.Any thing you can do to bring the revs down through the traps should help.Bigger tires is a good start. Try 'em, see what happens. Good luck !

I have personally never ran it down the track yet, I bought the car this winter, but the guy I bought it from gave me all the timeslips, thats how I know what it ran. I see what you guys are saying and I think that I have way too much gear in it. I will try the tires first but I still think that I will have to change the gear. Thanks for the replys.

Bob