Another E85 convert

I'm sure you will get it dialed in ... E85 is a total game changer with these cars .. where it really gets interesting is when you fully understand the fuel and make the tune / parts selection fit that puzzle .. it's unreal how effortless it is to make power.

What timing do you find works well with e85?

What timing do you find works well with e85?

There isn't a set in stone timing .. every car is different as to what it can tolerate. .. you can have a 4 degree difference between 2 exact builds. too much variance in parts...

If I simply throw out a number I am sure people would call BS just like 80# injectorss being able to run 10's or how a single DW fuel pump can deliver more than 500 hp worth fuel...
on my GN I am not afraid to run 26 degrees.. on some customers cars I would be terrified to run 20..

Its like Boost .. there is no magic preset number ... its just a number

Last edited:
I can add to what he said. Sure, every car is different, but the fuel being burned is burning slower than 93 octane. I have run 28 degrees of timing in 3rd and the car pulled really hard on top end. I will get there again, but that was only 20psi boost. Most other TTA's I have owned in the past didnt like more than 23 degrees with 93/alky. Kevin B has run some high timing with E85 too.

Thanks. I am running 26 timing in 1/2 gear but I have 3/4 gear at 18. Was curious as e85 is new to me. At the track my car loved the timing in the 1/8th but got some Kr at top end with 20-22 timing in 3/4 gears. Was wondering how much timing it will take in 1/2 gear. Im running the 6.1 chip so I have the afr target to mess with also. Will experiment with afr and timing at the track next week again.

Your either running a lot of boost or your E85 is not really E85. Or.... You need valve springs. Which one is it?lol

Thanks. I am running 26 timing in 1/2 gear but I have 3/4 gear at 18. Was curious as e85 is new to me. At the track my car loved the timing in the 1/8th but got some Kr at top end with 20-22 timing in 3/4 gears. Was wondering how much timing it will take in 1/2 gear. Im running the 6.1 chip so I have the afr target to mess with also. Will experiment with afr and timing at the track next week again.

And the track will tell you what the car likes .. don't trust us for a # .. trust what your car is telling you :)

Im still in 3rd gear but stock cam is done by then, about 5200. Running a 28" tall tire. I replaced my valve springs with Comp 980s. Boost creeps in my car. Hitting 26-27lbs at top of 3rd gear. 24-25lbs in 1/2 gear. Maybe thats to much boost for our e85. I need to get a tester for the fuel.

Im still in 3rd gear but stock cam is done by then, about 5200. Running a 28" tall tire. I replaced my valve springs with Comp 980s. Boost creeps in my car. Hitting 26-27lbs at top of 3rd gear. 24-25lbs in 1/2 gear. Maybe thats to much boost for our e85. I need to get a tester for the fuel.

Ramp the timing up in 1/2 .. back it off on the top end ..

Another thing you have to consider is this ... does the car like more boost or more timing ? what will add more power .. a pound of boost or a degree in timing ?
What is your MAT telling you ? ... what are your EGT's doing ?

You should be able to run 40+ LBs with E85. Is your fuel pump keeping up?

I have a fuel transducer on the way to log fuel psi on PL. Checking with a manual gauge fuel psi raises with boost. And my IDC would jump up high with the 6.1 chip tryin to add fuel if it was going lean. Next week will be going to track again to tweak. Thanks for the input. My engine is stock with TA52 and Dutt neck IC, 80s.
Sorry, didnt intend to hijack your post either turbo89!

Last edited:
I have a fuel transducer on the way to log fuel psi on PL. Checking with a manual gauge fuel psi raises with boost. And my IDC would jump up high with the 6.1 chip tryin to add fuel if it was going lean. Next week will be going to track again to tweak. Thanks for the input. My engine is stock with TA52 and Dutt neck IC, 80s.
Sorry, didnt intend to hijack your post either turbo89!

Not a hi jack at all .. the more info .. the better .. post away !

turbo89 I'm changing injectors tomorrow so if all goes well should be running again.

If anyone is up in the air over switching talk with turbo89, he totally knows these cars.

BTW thanks for ur help, don

$3.09 a gallon in Montgomery today for e85 at Woodman's. Last week 87 was $3.56 a gallon. In C'Ville was $3.89 at Woodman's . Today 87 was $3.76 in Montgomery, and 3.68 in C'Ville. All prices are from Woodman's.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'm looking forward to doing a conversion in my car soon, some good info here guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your running a Turbo Buick and still running 91 octane and low boost.. your missing the boat with these cars .. They are night and day different on E85