Another caspers knock gauge thread

TurboBrian

So I have tried different wires and splicers, but when I turn the key on I get the first green light then after it starts a few seconds later all the lights light up. I normally can not get it to do anything else, but the few times I did ( at idle ) it went all the way to the red. Its a brand new gauge I bought of a board member. Any ideas? I know this is like the simplest thing ever but its aggravating.

thats how they work .
the power on led that used to be visible at the lower center of gauge was bright and annoying at night so people used to put tape over the gauge at the lower half to hide the led . the new version has the led still there but its behind the face plate so when you key it up the first knock led lights green (sort of like a test ) and then after a couple seconds goes out but the power led in center is on and it gives the unlit leds a whitish glow to them and looks like a dental xray .
youll know when the knock leds are lit up..when you crank it you can see knock from the starter engagement and you may see the leds climb up . they will have color and are visibly diferent then when idle
instructions say to find a power source for the gauge that wont have power during crank , like the IGN 3 port

Last edited:
I'm having issues with my knock gauge as well. I think my wife bought it from Kirban's. The green light stays lit and that's all. I don't see how connectors vs soldering would change anything initially. Maybe later down the road a connector COULD wiggle loose, but new connectors should work just fine.

It does do the green lit when you hit the key and go up when you hit the starter but after it starts all of the lights on the entire gauge come on... I also don't have a solder any other ideas?

Did you get the instructions with it?

Did you install a momentary switch in the +12 or ground lead so you can reset the unit after cranking/starting?

Or install it on terminal not powered when cranking?

I did not get the instructions with it but I did read the online ones. I've got the power hooked up into the ignition port in the fuse panel and the ground just under a screw under the console.

Caspers added some confusion to this product. For a time, we "backlit" the LED's and eliminated the center "Ready" LED. The reason was, we had several concerns that the green LED in the center of the gauge was too bright, and looked like an active radar detector (Canadian users would get pulled over routinely), so we tried the backlit arrangement. Well, it caused a new set of complaints - this thread - so we stepped back to the original design with the center green LED. So, if you don't like that green light, cover it up with a decal or whatever.

Anyway, if you don't like the backlit design, send it back and we'll send you the earlier style to replace it with. Otherwise, it's working correctly with all the LED's very slightly lit. Two schools of thought on this though....

Hmmm... Okay I got mad and pulled it all out because I though it wasn't working so I'll hook it back up and go for a ride and let you know if I want to do that thanks!