Annoying clank when put in gear

Danster

Hey guys, what have you done to eliminate the clank sound when putting the car into R or D from park or neutral? I know changing the u-joints alone will not eliminate this noise. I have the 86 limited which does the same thing. The u-joints were changed in the 86 and the noise was still there just not as bad.

Anyone have a solution to this problem?

Dannyo

A slight clank is pretty normal as all of the slack in the driveline is taken up when put into gear. If you think it's excessive and u joints have been replaced, check the freeplay at the rear end yoke. May be a worn ring and pinion if the car has high mileage. Also, try to move the yoke up and down and side to side. If you have movement here, it may be the pinion bearing.

If all of the above checks out OK, a gear oil change may help quiet it down.

When I fixed my idle I noticed my car didn't clank as much when I threw into gear. I think my idle was a little too high.
Might be something to try.

Mine does it too. I checked the U joints and they are fine. As is the backlash in the rear.

I have the same clanking noise, it's a pane. It only does it going into drive. IS there anyway to shim it one way or the other to get rid of some of the backlash? I know you can on a ford rearend.

Same thing here, its the backlash in the rear end, plus the 2004R trannies like to bang when going into drive alot, there not real smooth about it, dont know why, but I got used to it also. As long as the rear doesnt whine, groan, or rumble, its all good:D Mark

I got rid of mine by adjusting the TV cable. I guess the pressure was lower, so the tranny didn't slam into gear. Of course it shifts at low RPM's too though.