an unusual LT1 turbo set up.

If that is legit, then I would guess that you would have a ton of lag with it.
What is the purpose of locating the turbo that far from the engine? The only 2 reasons I can see are 1. To hide it, and 2. A Bling Bling-er wanted the coolest exhaust around and this is what he came up with. Oh, and 2 1/2 because he wasn't bright enough to get it to fit any where else.

Brian

Too funny....

Imagine the conversation at the local hangout:

Me: "This Camaro wants to run me"

My buddy: "cool...whats he got for tires?"

Me: "dont know...go take a look"

My buddy: "Well...he's got radials...BUT I found something back behind the bumper"

Me: " what was it?"

My buddy: "His turbo"

Me: :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: "Turbo?!"

This where i start laughing histerically and cant stop the rest of the night!

If it wasn't for the lag, that would be a trick set up. Just bring the up pipe where the stock intake would be and noone whould ever know it.

thats intresting.

do you guys think that the exhaust has enough heat and velocity at that point to spin a turbo??
i dont :eek:

but id like to find out if that works, even if it only provides a little
bit at the top end.

LAG, LAG, LAG !!!!
What is this guy thinking. How long do you think the rear end would last with all the heat the turbo is going to be generating.
Not to mention the fuel in the tank. Do you know if this guy has an intercooler or if he would even need one. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

do you guys think that the exhaust has enough heat and velocity at that point to spin a turbo??

i dont eather BUT what if you took a propain injection kit, coil pack, spark plug and rig a silinoid to light the propain at say 4 psi or so. you would get all the heat and pressure to spool with that you would ever want and you would have some cool flames comeing out of the pipes.:D

any how, the guy is claiming a 2 second drop in his et and 14 mph, that would put him in to the mid/low 11s with just that one mod :confused: i doubt it with the way that turbo would spool, even if he did have the turbo mounted something like we do i still kind of doubt a 2 second drop.

i think its their 93 LT1 F-body test car...

its not intercooled and I thought there'd be a hella lag but aparntly not. It made the car run a good 13 sec run (15 stock) ...

granted its not going to work as a 700 HP set or anything -- but to run 5psi on the stock engine it works well.

if it was mounted like this one http://www.chitownsyty.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=jim it would only have a a few extra feet of intercooler piping -- not really that much more. The real downfall is how down the restrictive exhaust the turbo is.

Jon

imagine driving in rain or if he hits a puddle of water or something...instant water intake form the K&N into the turbo *BAM* dead turbo, and if water got propelled into the up-pipe/intake...bye bye engine too! IF he were smart, he would at least have the air-relive valve contraption beyween the K&N and the turbo so in case the filter got submerged in water (puddle or whatever), it suck in water... regardless, setup is not my cup of tea...

BTW, if anyone is looking for a *FREE* turbo, just wait till the owner parks the car, get under it and unbolt the turbo...as you wait in the parking lot of a mall even! Just based on the ease with which it can be stolen is not worth all the money dumped into this setup...

my $0.02...

that does make any sense to me. The only way I can see him getting enough velocity to run that is, If he narrowed the exhaust pipe coming in to keep the gases flowing. :confused: seems like a big waste of money to me!!

maybe lag, maybe not

Here is a thead where the guy talks about his setup. He has some answers to your questions.
Link

interesting reading

i kind of like the idea it seems sound and it looks like it would work on something like my big block skylark, has anyone read all the way down to where he talks about someone running a gn with 11 to1 compression :eek: lol :rolleyes: it on the bottom of the first page.

Robert

The higher compression motor was running 17psi and was at altitutude. 17psi isn't much over stock and we don't know what turbo he was running. Might not be as crazy as it sounds.

This statement was kinda funny:
Prototype did pick up 14 mph in quarter mile and car ran 13.0 at this elevation at 111 mph... Engineer from Garrett came up last week to check out our systems and was very impressed with all aspects of the kits. Said our Camaro was one of the fastest cars he'd ridden in.
13.0 was one of the fastest cars he'd ridden in? He must normally work in Garret's turbocharged golf cart division or something. :p