AN fitting and Teflon Tape

slo-joe55

Up grading my fuel system over the winter. Going to new AN fitting with Braided lines. Has anyone used Teflon tape when making the connections? Or is not needed.

Don't use Teflon tape on fuel line fittings!!!!! Pieces of teflon will end up in the screens in your injectors.
AN fittings are self sealing and do not need any additional sealing compounds.

You never use teflon tape on an fittings. Of course, Teflon tape or sealant SHOULD be used on any NPT threads used on any adapter fitting but only on the pipe thread side of it not the AN side.

Up grading my fuel system over the winter. Going to new AN fitting with Braided lines. Has anyone used Teflon tape when making the connections? Or is not needed.

I put just a touch of anti-seize right at the start of AN's or a touch of grease .. im talking very very thin .. then run out fuel through the lines PRIOR to hooking up to the rail to clean anything out ... never had a problem and stops the fittings from galling

Automotive type Teflon thread sealant only on tapered pipe threads (NPT). Never on AN threads. The stuff plumbers use usually has micro granules of Teflon grit in it so it's not as silky smooth.

You don't use Teflon tape anywhere on any engine related component! Especially oil feeds and fuel lines and never on tapered seat fittings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teflon tape is not a sealant of any kind. The reason you use Teflon tape or paste on NPT tapered threads is to lubrication the threads enough for them to engage properly burning install.

A AN (Army/Navy) or JIC fitting is a metal to metal seal the requires no sealant of any kind.

The taper on NPT threads allows them to form a seal when torqued as the flanks of the threads compress against each other, as opposed to parallel/straight thread fittings or compression fittings in which the threads merely hold the pieces together and do not provide the seal. As the thread body is tapered (0.75 in/ft or 62.5 mm/m) a larger diameter keeps compressing into a smaller diameter and finally forms a seal (no clearance remains between the crests and roots of the threads because of the taper). This means that NPT fittings should be burr-free and lubricated using a lubricating material like lubricating paste or tape. The use of tape also helps to limit corrosion on the threads, which otherwise can make future disassembly nearly impossible.

Teflon tape is not a sealant of any kind. The reason you use Teflon tape or paste on NPT tapered threads is to lubrication the threads enough for them to engage properly burning install.

A AN (Army/Navy) or JIC fitting is a metal to metal seal the requires no sealant of any kind.
This isn't totally correct. The design of the threads in theory will not require sealant but unless a thread mill machines the female part of the thread there will be a point where the cutting will stop and leave a ridge along the thread that will not seal without using something on the threads. Tapped threads are very common in automotive use and will typically not seal pressure without coating the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not going to argue with you as you are a lot smarter man than I.

I can tell you that all NPT fittings have a leak path and will seep fluid at higher pressure unless you are using NPTF.

When you install an NPT fittings it leaves a small space in the peak and valley of the threads and fluid will seep up the threads. Teflon tape or paste will not stop this seep but will slow it down.

I deal with NPT up to 15kpsi everyday and this what we see on our equipment all the time. I have done mutiple training classes over fittings in the last 15 years. This is what they teach about NPT.

Back to your normal thread hijack is finished.

No reason and no recommended to use Teflon tape or paste.

I personally use a little of the EARLS lubricant when assembling my AN stuff or building the AN lines.