An Ebay "What would you do??"

irockwithdirt

Ok, I am piecing together an old computer for a friend to use....... needed a harddrive, ran across this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2780689141&ed=1074158197

Would fit the bill, price was right......... no reason to spend $40 on a new one.

A week later, I get an invoice quoting $14 to ship a $13 harddrive.

Buyer is responsible for actual packing, shipping and/or insurance charges via UPS. I do not make any extra money off of this.

Being UPS includes $100 insurance for free, under his terms I am being charged over $10 for actual packing.

I emailed him back and asked if this is right and have yet to hear back from him.

Am I being unreasonable?

Unfortunatly at this point there is nothing you can do, You should have asked for the total ahead of time, At this point the seller will claim it's a "handling" charge:rolleyes:

I have tried to fight that battle too. I bought a musclecard and it was 2 bucks to ship it. It arrived in a regular envelope with a .37 stamp on it.....hmmmmm.

BUT the extra money was for his time to put the stamp on it, put it in the envelope, risk a paper cut sealing the envelope, and driving the envelope to the post office 7 miles away. So he had to pay gas and wear/tear.....

In the end.... you pay the shipping he asks for or get bad feedback when you don't complete the transaction.

I always ask up front now.

After about 5 years buying and selling on ebay, last month I received my first negative feedback from a buyer who claimed I never contacted him.

7 days after auction end and several emails to him thru several avenues, no money transaction, I get neged!!

7 bucks, 8 bucks, I'd pay that.......no problem. I just feel after the seller's comments on shipping this goes beyong s&h to the point of without a better word coming to mind, scam.

I hear ya. I have looked at several million auctions (feels like it anyway) and I have seen two trends.

Sell low..... charge high shipping.....

sell high...... low shipping.

I ask myself "wow... how can they offer it for so low...." then I read the shipping and crap myself.

How many feedback to you have? I have 97 and no neutral or neg yet :)

You need to read through the lines.

He says actual packing, shipping, etc via UPS.

That means he is going to go to the UPS store (formerly mailboxes ETC, AKA - we screw you over Inc.) and pay THEM to pack it and ship it.

It could easily be $14 for that. Surprised it wasn't more.

I went there once in a weak moment to ship a laptop. Asked for a box and bubble wrap and shipping 3 states away UPS ground.

$65.........

Thank you very much......

I was over 200 + feedback before I got one neg.

I have no problem with someone who wants to inflate their S&H charges. None whatsoever.

If they has not listed any instructions or comments as to shipping and I had not asked............my bad, I'd pay.

Buyer is responsible for actual packing, shipping and/or insurance charges via UPS. I do not make any extra money off of this.

These were his words^^^

What I paid was market value at best for this harddrive.

Heck, right now I am waiting on an item paid for via paypal over a month ago!!! Seller not responding to emails.

I've been flat ripped off in the past and done nothing to avoid negative feedback. Now that I have one it just doesn't seem to matter so much.

You can go through Ebay to fight the negative feedback you received even thou Ebay(AKA- we charged you for everything .com) will charge you $25 to "investigate" the negative feedback.
One of my winning bidders never paid for the item, I left negative feedback, so then he left negative feedback for me claiming I ripped him off :mad: and sold him junk! After seeing that I needed to pay Ebay $25 to "investigate" that BS feedback I realize Ebay dosen't give 2 ****s about its users and it dosen't pay to leave negative feedback unless your ready to dish out $25:rolleyes:
No I never paid the $25, just responded to his feedback.

tjthorson is right, he probably used mailboxes ect which charges big $'s to do something that anybody can easilly do themselves.
Email the seller next time.