An account of what happened with a GN totally out of it's element.

disco stu

Well, it was Lonestar Round Up (lonestarroundup.com) time once again. It is a traditional hot rod and custom show held annually in Austin, TX. It draws enthusiasts and cars from around the country, around the world even. It is one of if not the biggest now of it's type. Nothing post 1963, and all the streetrod-y Boyd Coddington/Chip Foose kind of stuff gets no love here. Traditional gets the nods here. Viper guys were clowned on. Even classic Vettes. These guys don't care about all that goldchainer stuff, or anything bought not built. If it's not hot rod, custom, LEGIT 60's drag stuff it's off topic. If you've ever been on the HAMB you know what I'm talkin about.

But none of my Round Up worthy stuff was ready. But since I was going anyways I figured I'd cruise the buick there which was 1.5 hours away to sort some stuff out with the tune.

So I'm cruising down S. Congress St in a bone stock looking GN, except for a cage that you can barely see, that should run 9's on pump gas. It ran 10.0 with a burnt cylinder so I don't think that's a lavish claim. I was on my way to find a side street to park on. Congress is where the whole thing congregates after the show at the expo center. People next to me in hot rods and such are starting to turn there heads and check it out. I start hearing "GN" and "Grand National" from the sidewalks. Astute individuals noticed the cage and long wheel studs poking out from the stock wheels. As the crowd got denser, every 10 feet I'd hear "F'n GN!" or look at that Grand National!". Hot women were smiling at us and twirling their hair. My friends were cracking up about how people were nerding out about the car. It was surreal. It seemed that the car that is usally invisible that no one notices everywhere else was stealing the show. So I made a few more laps. It was a camera magnet. People were hollaring for burnouts, pouring their beer and drinks on the ground for a makeshift waterbox. Chicks were more than happy when I asked if they wanted to roll with for a little while and giggled about crawling over the cage in the turning lane where everybody could see their ass. That turbo howls with the dump open and people cheered. The guys that were cruising post 63 cars and muscle cars were revving at me and smiling. The vatos loved it. Dudes pants got tight and chicks skirts blew up when I came by. Nobody said Monte Carlo.

It was awesome.

Made me proud to be in a Buick.

I know. As soon as we left the area to go downtown it was back to normal. Nobody even noticed it.

I'm not even exaggerating. It was a hell of a fun weekend. :wink: I think I turned more heads in that than if I had my chopped 53 done. My wastegate increase solenoid went out and I only 6 psi the whole time and it was still the most fun I've had driving a TR.

Maybe they were just sweatin your mullet?! Not hatin, we all have them rockin a mid 80s GM car.

A few cars are know by reputation and greatly respected by true car enthusiasts. Ours are one of them. :)

Wow. I'll have to go down there for that next year. I've always thought that Austin was dead as far as the car scene goes. Too many thieves.

Honestly, thank Fast and Furious. The GN is the new "eclipse/skyline" because of that movie.

All the young lads ONLY know about GN's from that movie ---

I don't think that's it. People that grew up around real hot rods and customs don't care about all that. These guys aren't easily swayed by fads. That's why they still build em like they did. Traditional. When guy on one side of me in a 32 3 window with a 392 topped with a GMC 6-71 and a guy on the other side of me in a hoodless 41 Merc on vintage 12 spoke Halibrands and real magnesium kidney beans out back give me a compliment I am more honored than some chump "that used to have one JUST LIKE IT". I think it was more like what Corsair said. I thought I was gonna roll through un noticed, but in a sea or REAL car guys, they notice everything if they like it.

The AUSTIN car scene is dead. Too many hippies and Kalifornians. But this wasn't just Austin.