AMS1000 operation for dummies

Looking good. How about giving us a little more angle on the pass with the next video so we can get a better feel for your launch.

How do your present boost controller settings compare with the settings you shared with us earlier in the thread? Did you have to make any big adjustments?

We wisch to stand on a more benefital place to film, but safety crew wont alow us that. :(

And This "Baby" needs lots of power to "get going" but yet not to much when on the roll so for now, we have cut down the stepps to only 4, and yet it aint near valuated so the nrs we have right now ist just jibrisch.

Besides Robert wont alow to reveal a not to good working settup to missguide annyone, we´re still fumbling in the dark, thoug we se the light at the end.

Sorry to say where out of race time, season ended so we have to wait until may -10 to start to test again.

At that time, I was using a T64E p-trim turbo with a .63 A/R exhaust housing, 3" THDP with the stock style "flapper" valve, and a homemade dual port actuator with about 8lb. of spring pressure. This was my old stock block combo.
The C02 was supplied through a Biondo preset regulator at 80 psi. The 1st stage of the controller was set at 10psi which resulted in about 16lb of launch boost. The second stage of the controller was set at 34psi resulting in my 27 psi of boost. As you can see, in this case, boost did not go up one for one with the controller setting.

I have sinced switched a 274 stage 2 with a 76GTS turbo using a .96 A/R exhaust housing, Tial V44 gate, and a .2 bar (2.9lb.) spring. The CO2 supply is the same 80 psi.
With 4 psi on the first stage, I have 7lb. of boost. With 21 psi on the second stage, I have 23lb. of boost. I currently have the ramp rate set at 30psi/ second and it results in no spike.

I only have 9 passes on the current set up so far but I am very happy with how the controller is working.

Robert,

Can you give any details on how you made the dual port actuator for the the stock style "flapper" valve. I've got an AMS-500 and would like to get it to work with out going to an external waste gate. Better yet, would you like to set the one you made since you've moved on from it.

Dave

Dave,
I plan on keeping mine. I would be glad to send you the part numbers of what components I am using. You will need some machining capabilities to modify and assemble the components. There is a picture of the actuator in the other thread you posted in.

I thought I'd share my latest boost controller settings. Some food for thought for others.
The timeline includes a 1.01 second pre-transbrake release. If you would like to know the time elapsed from the moment of physical transbrake release, subtract 1.01 from the timeline numbers.

:time from previous stage, rate of climb, control psi target.

Stage 1: 0.00, 0, 7
This stage starts at the release of the transbrake button, which occurs 1.01 second before the transbrake physically releases. This setting sets the stage for the boost rise up to the start of the 1-2 shift.

Stage 2: 2.54, 0, 8
This stage is meant to catch the drop in boost as it drops after a short spike past target as the nitrous shuts down and the stage 1 setting is affecting a drop off in boost just before the 1-2 shift.
This control psi target number may be changed in the future to better control how low the boost dips during the 1-2 shift.

The 1-2 shift occurs at 2.86-3.40 in the timeline.

Stage 3: 0.50, 20, 25
Control pressure of 8 psi is maintained until 3.04 in the timeline, just into the 1-2 shift. This stage begins to ramp up boost during the tail end of the 1-2 shift and in preparation for the 2-3 shift. Control pressure is ramped and reaches 25 psi by 3.89 in the timeline and 25 psi control pressure is maintained through 4.70 in the timeline.

The 2-3 shift occurs at 4.72-4.92 in the timeline.

Stage 4: 1.66, 6, 29
At the start of the 2-3 shift (4.70 timeline), control pressure begins to ramp up to 29 by 5.37 in the timeline.

Stage 5: 1.82, 6, 29
Control pressure is maintained at 29 psi until 6.52 in the timeline.

Stage 6: 0.01, 4, 31
This last stage ramps up control pressure from 29 to 31, and from 6.53 to 7.03 in the timeline. This stage compensates for some loss in boost during the tail end of the run due to intercooler heat soaking and heating of the intake air.

Some early preliminary fine tuning of the strategy outlined in the previous post rewarded me with a 5.95 ET 1/8 mile. More fine tuning to the boost control curve still to be done.

Latest strategy:

Minus .902 from the timeline numbers to get a proper representation of the time from actual transbrake release.

:time from previous stage, rate of climb, control psi target.

Stage 1: 0.00, 0, 7.5
This stage starts at the release of the transbrake button and the activation of the nitrous system, which occurs .902 second before the transbrake physically releases. This setting sets the stage for the boost rise up to the start of the 1-2 shift.

Stage 2: 2.54, 0, 8.5
This stage is meant to catch the drop in boost as it drops after a short spike past target as the nitrous shuts down at 179 kPa and the stage 1 setting is affecting a drop off in boost just before the 1-2 shift.
This control psi target number is changed to better control how low the boost dips during the 1-2 shift.

The 1-2 shift occurs at 2.66-3.00 in the timeline.

Stage 3: 0.20, 20, 26.5
Control pressure of 8.5 psi is maintained until 2.74 in the timeline, just into the 1-2 shift. This stage begins to ramp up boost during the tail end of the 1-2 shift and in preparation for the 2-3 shift. Control pressure is ramped and reaches 26.5 psi by 3.64 in the timeline and 26.5 psi control pressure is maintained through 4.20 in the timeline.

The 2-3 shift occurs at 4.46-4.66 in the timeline.

Stage 4: 1.46, 6, 28.5
Just before the start of the 2-3 shift (4.20 timeline), control pressure begins to ramp up to 28.5 by 4.54 in the timeline, by the middle of the 2-3 shift.

Stage 5: 2.20, 6, 28.5
Control pressure is maintained at 28.5 psi until 6.41 in the timeline.

Stage 6: 0.01, 4, 29.5
This last stage ramps up control pressure from 28.5 to 29.5, and from 6.41 to 6.66 in the timeline. This stage compensates for some loss in boost during the tail end of the run due to intercooler heat soaking and heating of the intake air.

These settings represent a tightening of the target pressure ramp up after the 2-3 shift by .5 sec for the next testing session.
The target pressures have also been increased by .5 psi past these settings for the next testing session, except for the stage one target pressure.

You'll notice that the target pressures in post #165 were higher than in the most recent controller settings I posted in #167. After posting the newly put together controller strategy settings in post #165, I decided to crank back the target pressures, start out lower, and slowly work up on the control pressures. We should see increases in performance with each revision of the boost controller settings up to the point where either traction or the present fuel supply system limits the car. If I can get her into the 5.7s before I hit either of those limits, I'll be a happy camper.

Latest datalog.
The light blue trace is MAP.
The heavy, dark green trace is RPM.
The light, light green trace is a/f ratio.
You can see where the nitrous was active by the retard in the ignition timing (dashed blue/white trace).
The dark blue trace is MAT.

The marker on the MAP trace is the point in the timeline where the transbrake releases.

As you can see, there's still quite a bit on the table if I can just maintain traction. The new TC may help with that. Only more testing will tell.

Attachments

• 20100515_15293239v.jpg
    20100515_15293239v.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 276
More ramping up of the boost controller has resulted in new bests for the car and the 91mm.
Max boost level for this day, 290 kPa (28 psi), and a tire pressure of 8 3/4 psi.

Reaction time: .018
60': 1.376
330': 3.829
330 mph: 95.572
660': 5.801
660' mph: 126.217

126 at the 1/8 mile mark is the best mph this car has done no matter which turbo. Best mph with the T76 and the tighter TC was 122.

The higher stall TC, and the lower tire pressure are definitely allowing more boost through the shifts.
I'm going to keep inching up the boost through the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, and continue raising the max boost level. The fueling is still maintaining a good a/f ratio. I'll be checking the plugs for signs of heat tomorrow at the track before the first pass of the day.

Latest controller settings after a little tweaking here and there:

Minus 1.00 from the timeline numbers to get a proper representation of the time from actual transbrake release. Not transbrake button release, as the following timeline numbers represent.

Stage [x]: time from previous stage; rate of climb; control psi target.

Stage 1: 0.00; 0; 7.5
This stage starts at the release of the transbrake button and the activation of the nitrous system, which occurs 1.00 second before the transbrake physically releases. This setting sets the stage for the boost rise up to the start of the 1-2 shift.
7.5 psi control pressure is maintained for 2.8 seconds from the beginning of the timeline since the release of the TB button.

Stage 2: 2.80; 0; 9.4
This stage is meant to catch the drop in boost as it drops after a short spike past target as the nitrous shuts down at 179 kPa and the stage 1 setting is affecting a drop off in boost just before the 1-2 shift.
This control psi target number is changed to better control how low the boost dips during the 1-2 shift and control the boost level through the 1-2 shift.
9.4 psi control pressure is maintained from 2.8 to 3.00 seconds in the timeline since TB button release.

The 1-2 shift occurs at 2.66-3.00 in the timeline.

Stage 3: 0.20; 50; 28.2
This stage begins to ramp up boost during the tail end of the 1-2 shift and in preparation for the 2-3 shift. Control pressure is ramped and reaches 28.2 psi by 3.38 in the timeline and 28.2 psi control pressure is maintained through 3.76 in the timeline.

The 2-3 shift occurs at ? in the timeline.

Stage 4: .76; 4; 30.2
Just before the start of the 2-3 shift (4.20 timeline), control pressure begins to ramp up to 30.2 by 4.26 in the timeline, the middle of the 2-3 shift.

Stage 5: 2.30; 6; 30.2
Control pressure is maintained at 30.2 psi until 6.06 in the timeline.

Stage 6: 0.01; 4; 31.2
This last stage ramps up control pressure from 30.2 to 31.2, and from 6.07 to 6.32 in the timeline. This stage compensates for some loss in boost during the tail end of the run due to intercooler heat soaking and heating of the intake air.

These latest settings represent some raising of the target control pressures and some tightening up of the boost rise throughout the timeline. These are the latest, tested and successful controller settings.

You need to look up some of Donnies other threads. It's all good info if you're willing to do a lot of reading.

New best. 5.74 ET in the 1/8

With the ALS afterburner allowing a harder launch, it seems to be true that the harder you leave the line, the more boost that can be tolerated through the 1-2 shift. During this session the 1-2 shift tolerated a MAP of 215 kPa. In past sessions where the launches were lighter, the 1-2 shift could only tolerate 200 kPa MAP.
The 1-2 shift may be able to tolerate even more MAP with this latest launch tuneup. Testing continuing.
I'll be listing my latest controller settings soon. The new settings are allowing a smoother rise in boost controller pressure as the run progresses.

My latest controller settings

My previous boost settings were a little too stepped. I could feel the change in boost by the seat of my pants. I decided to try settings that ramped the boost up more smoothly throughout the run. This is what I've come up with initially. After a few runs, the datalogs have shown me that there is room to quicken the ramp up in a few areas, but this was a good start. The boost ramp up was very smooth throughout the runs. Always more dialing in to do.

Launch setting: 11.2
Stage 1: 0.00; 0; 11.2
Stage 2: 3.51; 0; 9.7
Stage 3: 0.10; 50; 28.0
Stage 4: 0.37; 8; 30.4
Stage 5: 0.30; 1; 31.0
Stage 6: 2.11; 1; 32.0

There is 2.00 seconds built into the Stage 2 time delay. At the release of my transbrake button, the nitrous is allowed to spool up the turbo for 2.00 seconds before the transbrake actually physically releases. If you wanted to setup stage 2 to have the transbrake physically release at the moment you release the transbrake button, you would subtract 2.00 seconds from the stage 2 time delay (1.51).

Is there an issue with removing the wastegate springs and relying 100% on the C02 for control with the AMS1000?

Is there an issue with removing the wastegate springs and relying 100% on the C02 for control with the AMS1000?
If you don't mind having to use higher CO2 pressures and consuming more CO2, then I suppose you could go without the spring. What would happen when the system timed out though? Your wastegate would be flopping around partially open.