AMS1000 operation for dummies

Got 2 pic´s from a photografer along the starting point at last race..And 2 of my own tocomplete a "set"
Enjoy and just look at the rear pushing down :D
In stage
IMGP0965.jpg

Take off
IMGP0967.jpg

60 foot out
SIK_3537_copy2.jpg

on the way
SIK_3538_copy.jpg

CO2 usage

12oz. bottle filled with 10ozs. of CO2 due to a forecast of a hot weekend.
Tier weight of the bottle: 34.7ozs.
Weight with 10oz fill: 44.7ozs.
The bottle was opened before entering burnout box, and closed on return road.
The CO2 is used to control wastegate, BOV and spool valve.
The number of cycles of the program during 2 days of racing: 9 actual runs. 3 tests in the pits.
Weight of the bottle after the weekend: 43.17ozs.

The activation delay timer was programmed too short (7.000 secs) and the wastegate de-pressurized by the tail end of the run to affect the time slip.
Shooting for a run of around 6.0 to 6.2 secs, I forgot to figure in the amount of time from activation on the first amber to actual transbrake release. That's .940 seconds. 6.2 plus .940 equals 7.14 seconds. The activation delay timer would time out just before the finish line and it felt like the engine was seizing. The datalog showed a drop in map from 285kPa to around 200 kPa by the time I got off the throttle. Resulting ET was 6.4s. A lot of safe tune settings at this point still. Best 60 foot of the weekend was a 1.55 on a 'not so safe' nitrous tune. Lean (13-14s:1), but still a lot of timing retard. Adjusting the nitrous tune to a more safe level (12-13s:1) netted a best 60 foot of 1.63.
The activation delay timer has been programmed to 9.99 seconds.

Using a 8.5lb wastegate spring setting, I worked up to using 24 psi of control pressure to obtain 285-290kPa boost. Haven't had the chance to video actual exhaust backpressure yet.
HKS GTII 60mm wastegate.

New controller program

I have now determined that 24 psi controller pressure will yield me 28 psi boost manifold pressure with the present wastegate spring setting (8.5 psi).

What I want to accomplish with this new strategy is a quick ramp up of boost to 14 psi by the 1-2 shift, starting from 8 psi at the launch. After the 1-2 shift, a ramp up to 29 psi for the remainder of the run.
I'm sure that due to my setup, I will not see 8 psi at the start of the launch, but, I'm going to program it into the controller anyway. Call it wishful thinking.
After higher boost testing, and after I've determine that the fueling will support it, I'll have the boost steadily ramp up through second and third gear to a higher boost setting by the finish line.

The nitrous system will be timed to remain on until 14 psi has been reached.

The controller will be set to supply 5 psi at launch and will ramp to 11 psi by 2.5 seconds into the run. The pressure will remain flat until 3.3 seconds into the run, and from there will ramp to 25 psi for the remainder of the run. Hopefully, the 1-2 shift will occur between 2.5 and 3.3 seconds into the run. After I have some clean runs and good data, I can determine exactly when the 1-2 shift is occurring and I can fine tune that section of the boost controller. The boost will not need to remain flat for so long. The pressures in this paragraph are all control pressures. Add 3 to 4 psi to get the planned boost levels. (crossing fingers):D

My CO2 bottle pressure is regulated to about 42 psi.

The spool valve will be programmed to remain closed one second longer.

OK. Here's my complete programming. We'll see what actually happens.

The nitrous will activate .450 seconds before launch. It is programmed to timeout 3.15 seconds after launch. This will be adjusted as needed.
If 16 psi is reached within that 3.60 sec. timer, the nitrous system will be shut down by a 16 psi pressure switch. I'm looking to try and shut down the nitrous at the 14 to 15 psi mark. It will be a difficult thing to consistently time, I know.
I may switch the nitrous control to the ECM in the future. A nice thing about having the nitrous on a delay timer is that once it's timed out, it's done for the run. There's no chance of the nitrous coming back on if map were to drop back down into the activation zone at a later time in the run.

The spool valve will be closed at the first depression of the transbrake button and will time out 2.5 seconds after the release of the transbrake button. The total time closed during the nitrous shot will be 2 seconds. This will be adjusted as needed. The aux channel of the controller will use 32 psi control pressure to close the valve during pre-launch and launch.

The boost channel of the controller is programmed for the following control pressures:
Activation delay timer: 9.99 secs.
Launch: 5 psi
Stage 1: time-0, rate-0, psi-5 (shooting for 8-9 boost pressure)
Stage 2: time-.95, rate-20, psi-13 (shooting for 16-18 psi)
Stage 3: time-3.3, rate-12, psi-25 (shooting for 29 psi)
Stage 4: time-1.95, rate-2, psi-26 (shooting for 30)
Stage 5: time-.50, rate-0, psi-26 (shooting for 30)

The control psi at the time breakpoints throughout the run are as follows:

5.0 psi from the time of pressing the transbrake button, release of the TB button, and to actual transbrake release at .95 second.

Then ramping to 13 psi by 1.35 seconds.

Maintaining 13 psi to 4.25 seconds. Hopefully the 1-2 shift will occur just before this time point. To be adjusted as needed.

Then ramping to 25 psi by 5.25 seconds into the run.

Maintaining 25 psi to 6.2 seconds into the run.

Then ramping to 26 psi by 6.7 seconds into the run. 6.7 seconds minus the .950 seconds of pre-launch equals 5.75 seconds from actual launch to the point of obtaining 26 psi. This short increase in boost at the tail end of the pass will be used to test the fueling capacity for subsequent increases in the boost levels.

All the above time breakpoints include a .950 pre-launch time period. If you want to know how long into the actual run from the time of actual launching of the car, you will need to subtract .950 from the time number.

The nitrous is timed to activate .450 seconds before launch, as I already mentioned above, but thought I should mention it again for those that are really disecting this.

The transbrake and nitrous timers are setup as follows:
On the press of the transbrake button, the transbrake is set to on, the delay boxes are poised for countdown and the boost controller is put into launch mode and poised for timer countdown. The launch mode for the aux channel of the controller closes the boost valve.
On release of the transbrake button all timers begin to countdown.

Specifically, the transbrake and nitrous timers follow this strategy:
.5 secs after button release, the nitrous system is activated.
After a following .450 secs, the transbrake releases and the car launches.
Another 3.15 seconds and this particular delay box shuts down completely. This way, there is no chance of the transbrake or the nitrous system activating again on this particular run. So, either the 16 psi safety pressure switch has shut down the nitrous system, or the delay box, by shutting down, will cancel the nitrous system.

That was the most "in detail" setup Ive ever seen on anny boostcontroller.

Thanks for sharing Ur nrs.. and a good explanation too..

That was the most "in detail" setup Ive ever seen on anny boostcontroller.

Thanks for sharing Ur nrs.. and a good explanation too..

Donnie is a very thorough (sp) guy. If you think this was detailed go to the general forum and into the fabrication sub-section and look at the intake set up he made from scratch.:eek:

Donnie is a very thorough (sp) guy. If you think this was detailed go to the general forum and into the fabrication sub-section and look at the intake set up he made from scratch.:eek:

I did check that out :D Geeezzzzzzz DonWG is a master craftsman....

Hats of for ya Don :D

Any recent track outings? There used to be a thread around?

Next track events are this coming Friday night and Saturday night. Funny cars at Barona! I'm going to take one of them bad boys on.:tongue:
Not really. I'll be in the test and tune lanes.

Don, what track you go to? I really want to come see you run. Let me knoe

New boost controller setup for pro light launch.
5psi for launch setting.
13 @ .01 sec
13 @ 2.6
28 @ 2.6
28 @ 5.0
29 @ 5.0
29 @ 6.46

This last outing netted 7 test runs. All but 1 were duds.
Started with 10oz fill = bottle and gas weight 44.7oz.
9 runs, 3 tests in the pits = 43.17oz total bottle weight.
7 more runs = 41.875oz total bottle weight. 7.173oz of the 10oz fill remain.
19 total cycles to date used up 2.827oz.

We did travel to Gardemoen Norway, started at 3,30 in the morning and arived just before 8 o´clock
Tech inspection was starting at 9 (same time the racetrack would open) but it rained untill almost 10 ..

The crew whent out brusching water away and with tractors dragin old slicks to put rubber on track (witch allready full of it, its a racetrack for G***** E) 11.30 they started the qualifie runs and we had to go out on unprepped (no glue/trackbite) whatsoever) and U guess right smooking the tires and aborted run, then they started to drag the slicks again for about 3 hours, THEN the track bite.....(why not before?? )

Starting the race again WITH JUNIOR dragsters, and 50cc mopeds (10 -15 years kid play) then topping of with license runs AND a heavy rain now the clock is 4 in the afternoon

Hooping for 1 run atleast we hold on, and the draggin slicks and trackbite spray starts over.. almost 6 in the evening the track was "race ready" again and the started with JUNIOR dragster AGAIN... then heavy rain, so we loaded and went home

Unload and to sleep at 2´o´clock in the morning, 24 hours right down the drain AGAIN..

U might imagin what the PROSTOCK guys where thinkin about this...They might get a chans today, if not the junior drags race betwine the rain shours...

Just som ranting from me..

I´ll proly never go to that race track again

One Norwegian racer had been on this race track at same event 3 years in a row and made 2 passes TOTAL, and this year none.. Just the damn tractor and junior dragsters.. :mad:

This was the last test and tune this year. 2009 was a terrible raceyear for us. Most of the races rained away. I also had some small problems holding back the times. This "test-evening" I finally found the 60 foot times again=). This V6 engine makes tremendous of torque so it´s not easy to get it hooked. When you get that power you will understand what I mean, with AWD I mean, it´s not that easy...=(

Hopefully we´re gonna perform better next year, with a good baseline=).If everything is gonna go my way, maybe we will visit you next year in US, with my truck. :)

I have one film of 5.8 / and 60 fot 1.4 this is 1/8 mile(compare this to my 9.04 run, the time on the 1/8 was 6.04)

YouTube - Syclone AWD 1/8 mile 5.8

MrSyclone.