Amp ?

Mako

I ordered a lanzar vibe 438 amp off of e-bay for cheap just to see how they work. My car isn't wired yet so I tested it in my friends car to make sure it wasn't DOA.

My friends car is wired with 10 gauge as he has a low output alpine amp to drive his sub. 8" Bazooka. The sub was hooked up. The amp was played with only two channels at a time to the RCAs. The sub was played in stereo and in bridged mode on the fronts then rear channels. On all settings turning the gain up over the minimal would cause really bad distortion in the sub. There was full excursion but it sounded like a$$. Really bad like it was going to damage the woofer. Okay so the sub is 6 years old. Lets try something else. We got a 12" Kenwood in a 1 cu. ft. sealed box. It sounded just as bad as the Bazooka. We hooked the alpine amp back up which is a four channel and can't be more than 45 watts per a channel and bridged two channels. Compared to the lanzar the sub was pounding.

Can this amp be really that bad? I mean i didn't expect 1600 Watts but even a clean 100 watts would be nice. The sub never got to a comfortable listening level before really bad distortion kicked in. Could the wiring have played a factor? Guess this is going into dads car.

Originally posted by Mako
Can this amp be really that bad? I mean i didn't expect 1600 Watts but even a clean 100 watts would be nice. The sub never got to a comfortable listening level before really bad distortion kicked in.

Well it is an entry level amp! They do amplify the original signal but cant be throttled very well for clean sound compared to a name brand amplifier.

Originally posted by Mako
Could the wiring have played a factor?

Phased out at 180 degrees can be one! Overdriven with tone controls is another i.e......bass maxed, treble maxed. There are other variable but that can be a good place to start.

Give me a call Ivan. Its will be better to help you if you talk person to person.