Amount of safe boost with factory fuel system?

buickshake87

I've made an adjustable waste gate actuator allowing me to turn up my boost. Just wondering what you guys have ran into with turning up your boost. I have a fuel pressure gauge to check and so far it stays pound per pound with the boost rising

What really matters is that you avoid knock. Make sure you have the ability to monitor that and you can safely turn up the boost

Cool so don't I have a factory knock sensor? I think with my old turbo, when it was over boosting from vacuum leaks, I think I heard the knock sensor.

You need a scanmaster....and maybe a knock gauge/alarm as one of the basics. The knock sensor is a factory piece - detects knock, and the ECM attempts to pull timing (knock retard - KR). It can "hear' the knock long before you can. If you can hear it...NOT GOOD!

Sweet. Thank you dude. My car has some issues when I got it. Upgrade to a ta-49, some exhaust and fuel pressure regulator. Now it runs strong. Cool thanks I will be ordering a scan master.

Order a Walbro in tank pump and a hot wire kit BEFORE you start turning the boost up. Change your fuel filter, too.

If you don't buy a pump, buy a set of head gaskets, as you'll SOON need them.

I agree. Get your entire fuel system up to snuff and learn the scanmaster before you shorten that rod even a turn. :)

Noted for sure. So I've heard 12 to 15 as normal factory "safe settings " if I stay in that range then I should have no problems technically? Right now it can run about 15 but I like how 13 feels. Guess 13 is pretty safe??? Thanks again for the help!!!

I agree. Get your entire fuel system up to snuff and learn the scanmaster before you shorten that rod even a turn. :)

Acutally! I would recommend Turning it back a bunch of turns. Then when you get everything up to snuff, slowly turn it back up. Learn the scanmaster. It is your friend! Knock is the enemy. Join forces to defeat him!

Or you could use a MUCH better pump like this:

ArizonaGN - DeatschWerks

Nick, How long have those pumps been used? Call me ignorant, but I haven't even heard of those pumps before. I need a pump just like that for a StageII I building now. It currently works great with a single Walbro, and ALOT of alcohol, but he NEEDS to step up a bit to be safe. (IMO) I was going to build a double pumper with 1/2" outlet, but if that pump really pumps 40l/hr mopre than a Walbro, that is all that he needs for a high 9 pump gas run. (currently ran a best of 10.12 @136 in full street trim, stock ECM, 3.5" MAF, three mufflers, drag radials and 92 octane with methanol spray. That was with a 274 StageI now we are changing the block to a StageII on-center, all else is the same hydraulic 215/220 roller)

Ken, the one thing you are NOT, is ignorant! :)

You have not heard of these pumps as they have only been on the market since February this year. They were developed for the import market for OE and high performance applications.

The manufacturer is a world wide supplier of in-tank pumps, and these are built to the specs determined by Deatschwerks. All pumps are individually tested before shipping to their distributors.

They are so confidant in their quality and performance that the pump is given a 3 year unconditional warranty, unheard of with ANY other pump! :eek:

Not that I did not believe their specs and test data, but I felt it necessary to have an independent source to verify and compare information so I sent a pump to Richard Clark for testing.

He did verify the factory data specs with his results, and the flow numbers were better than any comparable in-tank pump he had tested.

With the bad experiences using Walbro pumps over the past few years, I am excited that I can offer my customers a quality product that will last them more than a few months, and have superior performance. :biggrin:

Im gonna c my way into this a and b conversation and say I like how that sounds and will be ordering one. Also, I have stock injectors, im getting 42 psi no vac at idle and my fuel pressure climbs up fine along with boost butttttt..... is the actual volume enough? I guess im asking, is the fuel pump all I need as upgrading fuel system?

Step up to a hot wire kit. It supplies better voltage to the pump instead of losing voltage through the fuse box. Also an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Nick I'll call you soon on that pump. Talked with the car owner last night about the prospects. He likes.:)

You have not heard of these pumps as they have only been on the market since February this year. They were developed for the import market for OE and high performance applications.

The manufacturer is a world wide supplier of in-tank pumps, and these are built to the specs determined by Deatschwerks. All pumps are individually tested before shipping to their distributors.

They are so confidant in their quality and performance that the pump is given a 3 year unconditional warranty, unheard of with ANY other pump! :eek:

Not that I did not believe their specs and test data, but I felt it necessary to have an independent source to verify and compare information so I sent a pump to Richard Clark for testing.

He did verify the factory data specs with his results, and the flow numbers were better than any comparable in-tank pump he had tested.

With the bad experiences using Walbro pumps over the past few years, I am excited that I can offer my customers a quality product that will last them more than a few months, and have superior performance. :biggrin:

Is it safe to say I can run this single pump to the high tens with no worries?? Or is high tens still going to be the bench mark to start looking at a double pumper set up???

Doesn't the extra volume of these new pumps cause return issues at low load/demand? The only bad experience I have had with a Walbro was with a pump that was bad from day one. I have 2 Walbros in different cars running high 10's, low 11's since 2005/2006. Still going strong. I think that calling these new pumps the "answer" without proper feedback is going to cause problems. BTW, the bad Walbro I had still went 11.69 before it went lean. I think the problem is most of the guys with the pumps that went bad had a bad pump to begin with. They just didn't realize it until they started making more power. The pump I had wouldn't make more than 65psi cranking the regulator at idle, and started bouncing at 55+.

And to answer the question, if you have pressure, you have volume. When the volume drops, so will the pressure.

If these new pumps cause no issues with the factory return, then they should be a bolt in pump for deep in the 10's.

And to answer the question, if you have pressure, you have volume. When the volume drops, so will the pressure.

Not quite true, you can increase volume by running larger diameter feed line and the pressure will drop if the regulator is not adjusted. The same if larger injectors are installed and high up in the DC range pressure will be lower than with the smaller injectors.
Volume and pressure are related, not married.

Not quite true, you can increase volume by running larger diameter feed line and the pressure will drop if the regulator is not adjusted. The same if larger injectors are installed and high up in the DC range pressure will be lower than with the smaller injectors.
Volume and pressure are related, not married.

Yes, true, BUT...IF you can maintain pressure, then you are NOT having a volume issue. There are a few guys running in the 9's with a single in tank Walbro AND alky. (ya, LOTS of alcohol) We are running 10.12 @136 on a single Walbro and dual nozzle Razor kit. No fuel pressure (or volume) issues, either. BUT I am a bit (O.K. ALOT) nervous.

Your advertising for this pump on your page is not entirely accurate. Just for completeness, the A'PEXi BNR32 fuel pump 404-A011 for the nissan skyline, which has been around for a number of years, flows just as as much, if not more (ref: stealth316 and maxcooper). Small detail I know but just wanted to point this out.

You can't run the Deatschwerks pump on a turbo Buick with a stock fuel return line. The volume is too high at low pressure and you can't get the fuel pressure low enough at idle. Yes, I tried it, I have one on my car. :smile:

On the flow data, maybe I missed something, but Richard Clark's test shows it flows the same as a Walbro when in boost (~70psi). Did I read the data wrong? 58 gal/hr at 70psi

Eric