am i priming the oil pump right?

bar87

a whirlwind of doom
put 4 qts mobil 1 in the crankcase, pass side valvecover is off, trusty sbc oil pump priming tool is in, my drill only loads down *a little bit* the oil lite on the dash goes out, but theres barely a trickle of oil at a couple (not all) of the rockers... should i see a lot of oil up top or is it "primed enough"....i dont want to smoke the motor when i fire it back up:eek:

Do you have an oil pressure gauge ? That will tell if enough pressure is coming thru. I pumped mine to 60lbs and the oil
was flowing.

wasnt using a gauge

i think i have an old autometer mechanical gauge lying around...if i can find it, where do i hook it up???
i did a search on this and found some posts saying that the oil simply wont get up there because the lifters wont pump up unles the engine is running....hogwash????

depends on what drill you got-

ive got a 18 volt dewalt and it gets drug down quite a bit when the oil pressure is made-

just pull the feed line off the turbo and that will tell u when you have lots of oil pressure-

BW

Oh yeah,
last time i did one i tried doing it with the drill set on low, it wouldnt even prime... set it on high and darned near pumped up a few seconds after.

id run it for about 20 seconds to get it fully primed, oil will be pumped quickly out the feed line, so be ready!!!

BW

Yep..I've gone through this precedure many times.Undo the top oil cooling line at the radiator. Tape a funnel on the line and fill with oil till it backs up in the funnel. Put the drill on reverse and crank it to suck in the oil. Reattach the cooling line. NowRun the drill forward at full speed for 20 seconds or so. Then stop and listen, you should here a "gurgling" sound of the oil in the block and valve covers. Then set your cam sensor and fire up the car.

These cars tend to have very little oil, come out the rocker arms . I just changed the timing gear, etc....Watch the Oil/idiot light on your dash.....while priming.....I did the reverse spin, with a hose sucking oil out of a quart of oil, on I believe the top oil cooler hose, then the normal prime....it worked for me....