Aluminum Hood

I heard that there were only around 15 made. I remember an article written about a GN back in the early 90's and the guy had one on his car.
John

Pure BS. No aluminum hoods exist for our cars. None were made which explains why you never see one for sale. These cars have been around for more than 25 years. If GM and Buick made aluminum hoods dont you think there would be some evidence of one? You could find aluminum hoods and trunk lids on the 78-80 vintage NA Regals and Century. No aluminum turbo hoods!

The Cutlass coupe is the only 81-88 G-body to get an aluminum hood.

turbofish38 said:
Pure BS. No aluminum hoods exist for our cars. None were made which explains why you never see one for sale. These cars have been around for more than 25 years. If GM and Buick made aluminum hoods dont you think there would be some evidence of one? You could find aluminum hoods and trunk lids on the 78-80 vintage NA Regals and Century. No aluminum turbo hoods!

Thanks for the reply Eric. I've seen the aluminum decklids on the 78-80 Regals and IIRC the aluminum hoods on them, but never on the 81 and up. Now I know why I haven't.

Not BS i saw one with my own eyes, still unpainted and untouched, the guys just has it laying around and it has the bulge just like our turbo buicks, there were just a hand full made and maybe a couple made it out to the public. :)

Good for you. I saw a Unicorn grazing in the cow pasture this morning too. But wouldn't you know it. He ran away before I could snap a pic on the cell phone.:rolleyes:

You know without some evidence backing up the claim than it is BS. I wonder if most peeps can tell the difference. You know every part I sell is usually painted black, as far as sheet metal goes. It aint no good if it starts to corrode as this stuff can sit around for years in a warehouse.

I have seen one on a GN. I can't say I saw it unpainted but it did flex a bit when closing the hood. Stock hood shocks don't make hoods flex like this one did. It also didn't have as tall of a bulge as a factory hood.

In the early 90's I bought an original GN that was made into a full race car. Tubbed, caged and a blown small block chevy. Bought for 10k..pulled the engine and trans and sold the roller for 10k.

It had an aluminum hood. The guy I bought it from said it was original. 1 of 50. Since it had a hole in it for the blower I never tried to confirm since the bulge was gone.

It very well could have been a Cutlass hood.

Wonder if someone on the board here owns that car now. :confused:

There was a guy in my local TR club that swore his was aluminum too,never seen it with my own eyes though, but he was a reputable member.

Negative. Seen a mint burgundy hot air at my car show last summer, with an aluminum hood. They do exist.