aluminum drums

"More Boost"

Major Member
is there any aftermarket co. producing aluminum drums for TR's? cant see spending $100 on e-bay for 100k mi. drums with maybe i light turn left on them, any info is appreciated, thanks, Gregg

No aftermarkets that I have seen.

Actually I cant see paying any money for them. The reasons are many but what do they really do? They dont make the car stop any better and for what little less in weight difference you really cant measure. Whats 10 pounds worth? About .0001 in the 1/4 mile? I bet if you look in a boneyard you'd find quite a few of them. Whether they are worth it is another question.

i think 1 pound of rotating mass equals 8 pounds of static weight so they may just be worth it

I believe its considered a 10:1 ratio, 1 pound rotating = 10 pounds static, so if they weight 5 pounds less a piece then thats like removing 100 pounds of static weight from your car

I doubt the aluminum drums are worth 100 lbs static weight. Then you would follow the 100 lbs per 0.1 ET decrease... I doubt you'll see a consistent ET drop of a tenth just switching the rear drums. Its all a function of overall weight and distance from the center of the rotating axis (moment of inertia calculation). Running heavy wheels in the rear is going to have a much greater effect on driveline inertia then the brake drums. IIRC, its an mr^2 relationship... with that larger radius from the axle center, the wheel has a significantly larger effect. I almost bought a set of aluminum drums for $45 shipped a few months ago, and decided to say forget it, as I'm putting discs on the rear anyways. My bone stock '83 H/O would be a good car to test the aluminum drum theory on, as it runs dead consistent (but very slow) ET's. I just didn't want to spend the money for the drums, as college is expensive...

it may not be 100 pounds, as I am not sure as to how much less an aluminum drum weights that a cast one, i was just reffering to a pervious post

BEWARE of the aluminum drums on EBAY. I got ripped off twice. They look good in the pics. You get them and they are worn out junk. People just sand blast them and paint them so they look really nice. Make sure you get pics of the insides. If you know what a good one looks like, you can tell what to stay away from.