Aluminum brake drums?

Casey Jensen

Is there anyone producing aluminum brake drums? My 84 GN come out with them and the GNX had them. Mine are not wore out yet, but before they are I would like to know if I can get new ones. Or before mine are shot, I will take them off and put on steel. If the GNX's had them, there is surely somewhere to get them.

Never seen anywhere you can get them new. Only ones I have seen are used, but so far can be found pretty often. If you are concerned about wearing yours out and never finding them again, you might grab a pair or two and stash them. Usually can be found for ~$100/ pair.

Check with Brian at Gbody parts. I believe he's got someone that can reline them. If you plan on racing them I would replace them with a cast pair though.

Yea, used are able to find. I think I might just go to steel and save my aluminum ones. Just thought someone still made them and I just wasn't looking in the right place. Thanks anyway.

Thanks charlief1. I will check into him at gbody. Might be cheaper just to go with steel though. I don't race my car on a regular basis on the track. Although I do like to prove my point once in a while, especially to some punk with a 4 banger with one of those fart can mufflers!

what happened to that guy on here that was going to tool up and start making these about 5 years or so ago?

i've only seen one set in a junkyard in the last 5 years or so- they wanted $15 for both of them, and i waited too long to get them.. the 4 door Cutlass (i think) that they were on got crushed 2 weeks before i got around to going to get them..

I would forget about them. They can't stand up to racing abuse... ie power brake burnouts and crack all to hell.

After 2 years of racing, mine looked like the liner could grenade at any minute. Switched back to cast Iron and never looked back.