alternator

BOSS 6

:cool: :cool: Need advice on alternator, I heard you can use the Impala SS alternator on the GN I need a 140amp :cool: :cool:

Yes, I just made the change. The one I got didn't have a mounting bolt hole on the back, and the charging post was 5/16" (instead of 1/4") so I had to change my connector ends.
96 Impala 140 amp

MSD Alternator

Has anyone put one of the MSD 160 amp alternators on their cars? If so, what model number and what mounting kit was used?

Also, regarding the mini starters, what model fits (Powermaster or MSD etc) or if anyone knows of a different one, please let me know.

When adding a larger alternator to your car you really need to change the charge wire from your alt. to the battery to a larger gauge. If you have an alternator shop near by they should be able to convert your stock alternator to anything you want, as well as making it a self rectifying 1 wire unit that does not rely on the battery light in your cluster to complete the field to charge. Start it up one quick rev over 1000 rpm and your charging!! :biggrin:

When adding a larger alternator to your car you really need to change the charge wire from your alt. to the battery to a larger gauge. If you have an alternator shop near by they should be able to convert your stock alternator to anything you want, as well as making it a self rectifying 1 wire unit that does not rely on the battery light in your cluster to complete the field to charge. Start it up one quick rev over 1000 rpm and your charging!! :biggrin:

I completely agree. I had my stock one rebuilt to a 200 amp for $110 by a local shop. Mounts up exactly like it did before and looks completely stock.