Alternator upgrade

Dank GN , I might give this a whirl.
It's 140 amp for a 95 Caprice.
It's new not reman....I wouldn't run reman on anything jmo.

Attachments

• IMG_20180101_102017_01.jpg
    IMG_20180101_102017_01.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 75
I believe the bracket on the back of the alternator need to be modded for the Caprice alternator.

This one shows same number but different diameter case...for the Impala.

I'm just gonna get the kit rebuild mine myself.
Looks super easy from the vids I've been watching.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180101-104540.png
    Screenshot_20180101-104540.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
Dank GN , I might give this a whirl.
It's 140 amp for a 95 Caprice.
It's new not reman....I wouldn't run reman on anything jmo.

IMO I would just get the AZ Duralast Gold 140amp instead... it’s 100% new and has a National LIFETIME warranty .... I’ve had one on my car for about 5years... no issues. As mentioned, you don’t use the rear brace

a7858cd61cb68765a4bc470a454ff8a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought the AZ1400-6-4. The manifold to alternator bracket bolt doesn't line up on the back and I can't use the bracket.
Do I really need it?

The best alternator upgrade is to re-wire the 4 terminal connector to the alternator. Stock it has the single brown wire that goes to the dash light. Lose that and the alternator stops charging. So, grab another pigtail that has at least three wires/connections: the S, F, and L terminals (letters are molded into the connector body).

The L terminal stays the same, it is the brown wire going to the dash light.
The F terminal, wire it to a PNK/BLK wire that is hot at key-on. Can get it from the EGR solenoid or wastegate connector (among other areas).
The S terminal, grab either of the large feed wires that used to go to the fan delay relay, or the PowerMaster. These wires go directly to the starter power and then on to the battery.

Powering the F terminal will cause the alternator to charge even if the dash lamp feed is lost. This corrects the most common cause of no charge from the alternator.

Connecting the S terminal will cause the alternator to sense the vehicle voltage at the starter power feed. This makes up for the voltage drop between the alternator and that point. Will typically see at least a 0.5 volt increase in overall system voltage.

RemoveBeforeFlight
Real tech!

You can pick up a nice chrome aftermarket high amp for a decent price, just make sure it's made here in USA, or you can go to a rebuilder and have them replace your factory one with a 200 amp stator, HD rectifier, and HD voltage regulator, you'll be looking at around $85 for all your parts, plus my labor. I haven't posted it yet, I might be selling mine here soon

Are the pulleys the same size or do you have to swap them?
That's a good deal if you want to replace it every couple months for the rest of your life, I try to stay away from alternators and starters re-manufactured in Mexico, last one I did on a Toyota didn't last 5 minutes

The stock one is 120amp so just don't see the need for all the power unless you're going to use it for a backup whole house generator. Now if your car is a police cruiser with and the fancy electronics I understand.
And the stock one always fits with no modification.

Some of the impala alternators are setup with internal sensing circuitry and may not work for everyone.

I am sooo sorry, I forgot to mention, that if you do get the kit and pump it up 200 amp or more, the kit comes with a smaller pulley, and you'll need a smaller size serpentine belt. You're going to need the belt 335K6