Alternator Plug ?

PARKBOY

Should The Plug That Goes Into The Side Of The Alternator Have Power To It? I Know The One Screw In The Back Should But Not Sure About The Plug. I Have An Alternator That Wont Charge But When Tested At Auto Zone They Say Its Good. Any Suggestions?

Should The Plug That Goes Into The Side Of The Alternator Have Power To It? I Know The One Screw In The Back Should But Not Sure About The Plug. I Have An Alternator That Wont Charge But When Tested At Auto Zone They Say Its Good. Any Suggestions?

Does your volt light come on on your dash when you turn the key on . if not then the bulb is burned out. ifit is burned out it will not complete a circuit and will not charge

Does your volt light come on on your dash when you turn the key on . if not then the bulb is burned out. ifit is burned out it will not complete a circuit and will not charge

No the light does not come on but it also is not blown out.

how do you know its not blown out

i took it out and placed it in nother socket and it came on. whats weird is that i check the connections on both sides where the bulb plugs in and they both had power to them, is that normal?

stupid problems

try installing a new bulb, don't ask just try one, had some weird problems like that before, bulb was good but did not work in a specific socket

when my T Type was having charging problems, i chased it down to the plug where the harness goes into the back of the cluster.
if your light bulb is good, but does not come on with the key in "run" without the engine started, try pushing the cluster in and see if the light then pops on.
if it does, pull the cluster and clean all the contacts on the plug with a pencil eraser, bend all the tabs up a little bit with a small screwdriver, and put the cluster back in. the light should now come on when the key is on and engine is off... if it does, then your charging system is in good working order.

when my T Type was having charging problems, i chased it down to the plug where the harness goes into the back of the cluster.
if your light bulb is good, but does not come on with the key in "run" without the engine started, try pushing the cluster in and see if the light then pops on.
if it does, pull the cluster and clean all the contacts on the plug with a pencil eraser, bend all the tabs up a little bit with a small screwdriver, and put the cluster back in. the light should now come on when the key is on and engine is off... if it does, then your charging system is in good working order.

can i pull the cluster without pulling the whole dash out? I tried to but i think the speedometer cable has to be disconnected. I still need to know if the plug on the alternator should have power this may be my problem because doesne have power.

The plug should have power with the key in the on position. If using a test light, one side of the plug should light the light brightly and one side should light it dimly or flicker. I had a problem with mine about a month ago and tried everything I could think of. My problem turned out being the instrument cluster plug. You do have to disconnect the speedometer to get the cluster out.

the power to the alt plug goes thru the volt light. so if the connection is bad at the plug, there wil lbe no power at the alt plug.
do your other idiot lights come on when you turn the key on? the oil and temp lights shoudl come on. if not, then kind of wiggle the cluster around and push in on it and see if they come on. if that does the trick, it's time to pull the cluster and clean the contacts. the speedo cable snaps right off the back of the speedo, and the VSS sensor needs to be unplugged to get the cluster out- it's those two wires that go in the back of the speedo right next to the cable. also, don't forget to unhook the gear indicator cable from the column right under the dash before yanking too hard on the cluster.

the power to the alt plug goes thru the volt light. so if the connection is bad at the plug, there wil lbe no power at the alt plug.
do your other idiot lights come on when you turn the key on? the oil and temp lights shoudl come on. if not, then kind of wiggle the cluster around and push in on it and see if they come on. if that does the trick, it's time to pull the cluster and clean the contacts. the speedo cable snaps right off the back of the speedo, and the VSS sensor needs to be unplugged to get the cluster out- it's those two wires that go in the back of the speedo right next to the cable. also, don't forget to unhook the gear indicator cable from the column right under the dash before yanking too hard on the cluster.

How exactly do i get to the speedo cable to take it off?

I had better luck when I removed the padded dash area around the cluster. I then went under the hood and pushed the speedometer cable through the firewall some more. There is a little ring at the cable at the cluster that you push and the cable should slide right off.