Alright, damnit!!

Well, my best with completely stock suspension including attached sway bar, and street tires was well under 2.0. That was with the car untuned as well. I still have quite a bit of work left ahead of me.

Chris

Originally posted by buickfreak
Simple, maybe you have more skills launching a non-turbo car :rolleyes: 2.08 60' is quite horrible for a Turbo Buick.

Maybe. Maybe not. I think it's much easier to launch the Buick. It's simple - stand on the brake, build the boost, when the third yellow light come on, let off the brake.

The Mustang is a lot trickier.

And sorry but you must have some problems driving that car hard for only running 13.873 with the mods you have. Sometimes we have to blame the driver for bad times at the track, not always the car. :rolleyes:

Given the trap speeds I was running, the ETs I was running are not out of the ordinary.

But keep in mind I was only running 14psi on 93 octane.

I will say this: I think the GN needs new valve springs. It shifts at 5000rpm, and at that rpm it doesn't seem to be pulling as hard as I think it should. When it shifts it really takes off.

The Mustang should also be trapping higher than beween 102 and 103. The problem with it (I think) is the cam is too big for the rest of the combo. The cam I've got in there is about the biggest one you can run with the stock pistons and valves. Too much duration for such a low compression and short stroke engine. One of these days I hope to get a good cam matched to the rest of the components.

You were on the Nitto 275/50/15 for the 2.08 ??? If so well.....something is wrong with your launching.

I could'nt stay out of this one. I had a stock 5spd 5.0 Mustang at one time. On street tires (275-50-15 BFG's) with 3:55 gears I could knock out consistent 1.9 sometimes high 1.8 sixty foot times and have the stack of time slips to prove it... somewhere. On a full boogie leave on 26X9 Hoosiers, my little hatch LX would knock out high 1.5 (1.54 being the best) 60's on NOS, on motor 1.7's. All this with stock suspension. Only body/suspension mods being reversed upper axle shocks for tire clearance, subframe connectors and unbolted front sway bar if ya can call that a mod. No air bag(s). No Griggs crossmember. No drag shocks or struts. It was a full weight car, with me in it 3300lbs and 3040lbs empty. I then went to Motorsport lowering springs and was clocking consistent 1.6's(1.9's on street tires) and still pulling the left front tire off the ground on slicks (have on video). So when someone says:
Mustangs does not grab at all unless you have a full custom race suspension

Obviously hasn't owned one or been around someone who can drive one.

Geoff

Originally posted by Rollin
I could'nt stay out of this one. I had a stock 5spd 5.0 Mustang at one time. On street tires (275-50-15 BFG's) with 3:55 gears I could knock out consistent 1.9 sometimes high 1.8 sixty foot times and have the stack of time slips to prove it... somewhere.
Geoff
Congratulations! You're the 1st one I've heard of EVER. The 3.55 gears stock? (forgive me, I don't know squat about those cars other than seeing'em behind me.)

Originally posted by TT/A1233
Congratulations! You're the 1st one I've heard of EVER. The 3.55 gears stock? (forgive me, I don't know squat about those cars other than seeing'em behind me.)

What happened to the old buick motto: "Going fast with class." From the looks of it, you're doing neither. I didn't come here to start a fight and most definitely not with an administrator, but you don't have to be an ass when you find out that you're wrong.

FWIW, now you've heard of 2. I was also cutting those times back when I had 3.55 gears on street tires except I really did have completely stock suspension with the sway bar attached.

You can believe it, or not. I don't really care. I just don't see why you have to get bitter. Let's keep this discussion friendly. Set the example, administrator.

Chris

Originally posted by FastDriver
What happened to the old buick motto: "Going fast with class." From the looks of it, you're doing neither. I didn't come here to start a fight and most definitely not with an administrator, but you don't have to be an ass when you find out that you're wrong.

FWIW, now you've heard of 2. I was also cutting those times back when I had 3.55 gears on street tires except I really did have completely stock suspension with the sway bar attached.

You can believe it, or not. I don't really care. I just don't see why you have to get bitter. Let's keep this discussion friendly. Set the example, administrator.

Chris

How was I being an ass? I'm not kidding, I've NEVER heard of a stock Mustang pulling under a 2.0 60' on street tires and stock suspension, and I float around a lot of Ford boards. When I gave him the accolades (congrats) I was being 100% serious. And I give you a congrats too cuz that's one helluva hole-shot to pull on street tires.

I'm not bitter whatsoever and give 2 thumbs up for the accomplishment in street trim suspension. :)

I didn't mean for my post to sound pompous but I was being sincere. If I wrote it which may have been read colorfully I apologize, no malice intended whatsoever.

Peace.....

Ok, then I misinterpretted you and apologize. I honestly don't think that 1.8s are anything to be congratulated about, they're relatively common. So, I thought you were not serious when you said congratulations, and followed by stating that is the first you've heard of it EVER with capital letters. This implied to me that you thought he was BSing you. Then you ask, again I assumed sarcastically, if 3.55s were stock when it's obvious to me that by stock he meant stock motor. Finally, the seeing mustangs behind you comment seemed a perfect end to a spiteful post. I suppose I made the mistake of making assumptions of you when I don't know you.

I'm curious though, are you not counting DRs as street tires. I mean, my DRs are and have been my legal street tire for over a year and 10,000 miles. I think any moron can cut a sub 2.0 with a 5.0 and DRs.

Chris

Ps. In your earlier post you claimed that you had not seen any mustang running < 2.0 in stock suspension. You did not claim that it had to be a stock mustang, period.

TT/A1233 said
Congratulations! You're the 1st one I've heard of EVER. The 3.55 gears stock?

Well from what you posted, I'm having trouble understanding what your trying to convey. From what I recall someone posted a blurb about Mustangs needing high dollar suspension components to hook. No one said anything about gears being a suspension component. Nonetheless, the car did have 2:73's when I first bought it and did cut high 1.9's but consistent 2.0's on the same tires with that gear ratio. However, the 3:55's needed more clutch to keep the tires from spinning and were slightly quicker once I got it lined out. It's not rocket science to get a Mustang to leave you just have to know how to keep the motor in the sweet spot and slip the clutch with tires on the verge of breaking loose..... a simple procedure but it does take practice.

Now TT/A1233, this "Administator" thing explain to me whats up with that?

I could'nt stay out of this one. I had a stock 5spd 5.0 Mustang at one time. On street tires (275-50-15 BFG's) with 3:55 gears I could knock out consistent 1.9 sometimes high 1.8 sixty foot times and have the stack of time slips to prove it... somewhere.

I gotta chime in on this one.......just because. I am not saying Mustangs launch good, and I am not saying Mustangs launch bad, but....my car has pulled 1.8 on street tires, and nothing done to the suspension except to leave the worn out front shocks in it. That is with a GN suspension(sway bars, only change) in my station waGoN. Oh, and the street tries I am talking about are 195-75-14. When I bolted on a a set of 255 BFG Drag Radials, I pulled a 1.7. So, everyone can draw their own conclusions.

Brian

TT/A1233 said

It's not rocket science to get a Mustang to leave you just have to know how to keep the motor in the sweet spot and slip the clutch with tires on the verge of breaking loose..... a simple procedure but it does take practice.

Well thats exactly why you are a part of 1% of the Stang owners, because most of them just don't know how to launch. But I hope that after 200 trips to the track he finally learned how to launch it. ;)

I may be wrong, but I think that the mustang's suspension is stiffer stock. Nevertheless, I don't think you can say that you're going to leave me at the line given the same tire on both cars. That will certainly not be the case unless I screw up. 255 BFG drag radials would be a definite improvement over the smaller harder nittos I ran the 1.8s with. I'd be willing to bet I could have got 1.7s with them, I only went to the track 3 times with that setup maybe disconnecting the sway bar. ET streets would ensure 1.7s, though.

Nevertheless, I think this argument is fruitless, so back to my original question..... I see so many cool old well-preserved cars around in OH. I figure there's gotta be a TR in Dayton somewhere.

Chris

It's nice to see the competitive juices still flow between 5.0's and gn's.

Has anybody been to a mustang shootout at E-town or one of their grand national vs mustang shootouts? You can see some of those stangs launch pretty good even with minimum suspension mods. It's a drivers car - more technique and finesse to get the launch done right but it has been done.

Peace

Originally posted by buickfreak
You were on the Nitto 275/50/15 for the 2.08 ??? If so well.....something is wrong with your launching.

If I tried launching any harder I would break the tires loose.

Originally posted by TT/A1233
I'm not kidding, I've NEVER heard of a stock Mustang pulling under a 2.0 60' on street tires and stock suspension

Make that 3 (mine) that you've heard of now. Still have the same shocks, springs, bushings, etc... as the day I acquired it in January of 1988 over 151000 miles ago.

Like Rollin and Momau3 said it's in the throttle and clutch modulation and technique that you're getting a car launch properly . But first comes the appropriate suspension components. I am very happy for you FASTDRIVER if you have the technique and can handle the TORQUE but if Mustangs would be that good , I would't be owning 2 BUICKS TURBO and having so much fun EMBARRASSING all those BIG V8 RACERS . For sure you will see some Buicks beside you .
;)

race a mustang????

i've never come across a mustang i didn't like racing against. and i'm still waiting to find out exactly what the back of those cars look like i never seem to get that view for some reason ;) :D :p

Really? How long have you been racing these mustangs?

That turbo you got there is good for mid 10s, eh? Is that what you're running? I don't think I could touch you with mid 10s, but maybe with a small shot......:D Maybe early next year we can meet up at E-town and have a little fun.

Chris