Alpine head unit removal

mark b

Looking for advice/suggestions. I installed an Alpine in-dash unit myself quite a while ago. I need to pull it out to plug stuff into the back. Low-and-behold the girlfriend's kid says "if you have the keys I will do it". What keys? The light goes on - the Alpine units have these thin metal slotted things that go in the sides of the unit and release it. Of course mine are long gone.

Anyone else have this happen? Do the local dealers have these things? The Alpine web site was useless but I have not had time to call the customer support number.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestion.

You could just remove the head unit and the bracket holding it in all together by removing the screws that are holding the bracket into the dash.

Hmmm - my memory may be failing but I thought the holding bracket screws are only accessibile when the unit is removed, hence the need for the keys. Of course the alternative is rip the dash apart to get other access.

Stop by a Circuit City or Best Buy, they will have the keys. Just ask to borrow them real quick.

Keys? Guess all my Alpine units are different....

Last I knew, the HU is mounted to the metal cage, which is mounted in the bracket that bolts in place of the factory hu. There are 2 7(or 8?) mm screws on either side. Pop the trim plate off (dont break it!) unscrew those and you pull the whole assembly out. I think the keys or special release tabs are only needed when you mount it without a kit (a-la japanese cars) or just to seperate the main unit from the cage.

The "keys" Ive always used on the radios that lock in that way can be bypassed using pieces of coat hanger cut down and used in a U shape. Youd have to play with it, but they will release them locks

If it's a real old Alpine HU you just need a pick. Tape or Cd?

If it's a removable faceplate remove it and you will see it in the center corner. Just move it up to release on both sides.