Almost together...

80sportcoupe

OK, after 18 months the project is beginning to move more quickly. Hoping to have the car back on the road by end of October.

Car will have a fresh engine, trans, diff, exhaust, etc. Man, did I let this snowball into a BIG project... looking forward to it.

My main concern for the car after being a Buick paperweight for 18 months is the brakes.

I assume that given the pistons/calipers will engage/disengage the rotors/drums that I will not see a catastrophic failure, but rather see leaks.

Anybody have any input? Given that the drivetrain will be fresh are there any other major concerns after lotsa time off the road?

Thanks--
George

18 months is nothing, IMO. 18 years might be something to worry about.

Stand on them and see if the pedals goes down any. If not you should be OK. Just take it easy at first. Try some "panic stops" where it's safe.

You might consider bleeding the brakes and getting some fresh flid in them.

Hey maybe you will be able to make it the GA BOP in Nov.
Would be nice to have another Carbed car there :D
Jim

Well..

Jim, I caved :eek:

I found an '87 engine out of a burned car (which turned out to have factory seals & really clean... I got lucky) and am doing the SFI/IC conversion.

I'm keeping the old setup for a rainy day.

The exterior/interior will be bone stock, and I will prolly be keeping the TH350 in the car.

Dont know if my wife will be able to keep the back wheels on the road, tho. We'll see..

:D

George

Cheater,cheater punkin eater......
You need wider tires, I'm not runing as much power as Fred and I can not keep the tires planted at 1/2 throttle(205/70/14's).
Jim

tyre fryer

Yeah, it's gonna be a problem. I plan on running 3.23 in the rear for that reason, and fitting the widest tires I can. It'll be set up for 93 octane, but with a TA49, 009's, THDP, etc. traction will be at a premium. I may run low levels of boost on the street to keep the car safe. Bolt on slicks and turn up the boost for test and tune.

Lotsa variables, lotsa time to work them out.

Like I said, the project got out of hand. Bless my wife for her patience with our toy.
:cool:

George.