Almost lost to a SHO!

j-lantern

Well, yeah, it needs to be explained. I never get any stoplight races in my T, so I've pretty much stopped looking, but I was stopped a little bit past the stop line, having slid past on the wet pavement when yellow turned to red quickly. I saw the front of a car next to my door, saw that it was a Taurus, and went back to talking to my Dad in the passenger seat. As the other light turned yellow, the taurus started creeping past me to about a length, and then the light turned and he nailed it and jumped up a couple lengths. I figured what the hell and stomped on the gas, but since the pavement was wet the tires just spun and the car went a little sideways. I let off, and it finally started to grab, and I passed him by the time I was done with second and let off around 75, but he hung in fairly well. I'm pretty much stock, incl non-adj wastegate, with 168k motor, but is there any reason other than the fact that I wasn't paying attention and didn't hook that this was even close? 1st gen SHO's and 87 TR's don't make the same sentance often.

1st gen SHO and 87 TR made it in the same sentence just yesterday....but I was on dry pavement.

#1 (or somewhere in the top 10 anyway) rule of the stoplight drags when driving a TR is DON'T TRY IT IN THE RAIN. The lack of traction will make you lose to the slowest of opponents. It gives you a real appreciation for the importance of traction - and how hard it is to play catch up when you break traction.

I wouldn't sweat it. Though it's little consolation - it wouldn't have been close on dry pavement.

Jim

Hey man, you're nuts for racing on wet pavement!!!

Make sure those wheels are on there tight, now, hehe

Originally posted by GeneralB44
Hey man, you're nuts for racing on wet pavement!!!

Make sure those wheels are on there tight, now, hehe

not tryin to start a fight but very dumb move. in the rain.

About the last gen. SHOs...

with the V8. I have a friend who just bought a 97 V8 SHO Taurus and that thing will fly. I don't know what has been done to it (he doesn't either), but it is very fast. We went riding down a lone back road and hit 147 mph before he let off, and it was still pulling! He won't take it to the track, but I'm sure he can hit high 12s. I know it won't beat my GN in an off- line drag, but still man, it fooled my a$$ big time. And it is funny as hell when he beats 5.0s, Z28s and other things. But he won't mess with a TR, I made sure of that:D

Yeah, I would never run it in the rain, but it had stopped over an hour prior to this and the sun had been shining for a while, though the ground was still a bit slick. I punched it mostly because nothing ever lines up to me at lights, and I don't take the TR when I'm in school (streets of West Philly and TR ownership, something else never in the same sentance, at least for very long) so driving it back at home was a treat. Hopefully I'll meet him on dry pavement.

Hoss- I guarantee the Sho will not run 12's, certainly not run in the 13's, most likely not break the 14's, and is probably in the 15's. The first two generation Sho's were slightly faster than the third generation. The majority of Sho's run in the low 15's, and some in the 14's. Turbo them or supercharge them to get into the 13's. There is one that is n/a and lightened that broke high 12's. For a 4 door grocery getter they are fun, and will catch some cars by surprise.

That was just a ballpark figure, but i'm confident it will hit 13s. The motor looks like it has been opened up before though (the head bolts are a little rough). So I'm thinking it has been ported and stuffed with the good parts, or with whats available. That 32-valve motor is unreal at 5000+ rpm, sounds like an indy car too. Chuck (my bud) said he wants 12s and was looking into superchargers and the like too. Have any suggestions that I can give to him?(I want to look smart:D ) Thanks....

I would honestly be shocked if he got it past the 14's. The only Gen III I know of to break into the 13's was running a good shot of nitrous. Unfortunately, mods are hard to come by with the Sho. Especially the third generation. I do not know much about the Gen III, just into the first two. Have him go over to ShoShop.com or shoforum.com and talk with the Gen III owners.

I owned a Gen I for 11 yrs and with intake/exhaust/chip it was a high 14 sec car. The only reasonably sane way to see 13's is with either forced induction or a big shot of nitrous. N/A 13's on the motor would require enough money to put a GN in the 9's.

I never could figure out why people would spend $3-4K to supercharge a SHO just to run 13's:confused:

Thanks dude, I'll tell him. But IF HE DOES HIT 12S, I'll let you know. I still think the first gen SHOs are not faster than the V8 SHOs, though. If I'm wrong, so what....:rolleyes: . I'll still be driving my BUICK thank you :D .

friends SHO

i got a friend w/ a 2nd or 1st gen SHO, its his dads, its got intake, intake manafold, chip, and some other little stuff, just a neat car, 5 speed. he has the timeslip from when his dad ran a 14.1 in the car and that was before their NEW chip, which promises 17 more hp over the last one!!!!! if i could have ANY beater in the world, (besides a nice hot air t type) i would have an SHO!!!!

SHO vs GTP or Regal GS???

I don't know the engine or what the SHO consists of, but from the sounds of it they are very comparable to the FWD Pontiac GTP's and Buick Regal GS's with the supercharged seriesII 3.8 V6... I think the GTP and GS make about 240hp and 280lb-ft of torque, so would the Ford SHO be comparable in numbers or what??? Are they also FWD??? Please fill me in:)

!!!!! if i could have ANY beater in the world, (besides a nice hot air t type) i would have an SHO!!!!

I don't know, my nice Regal GS takes me around with a smile on my face:)

Chris

Like I said, the latest gen SHOs had the 3.9L(?) 32-valve, DOHC V8 assembled by Yamaha. 240+ hp and 300+ torque from the factory. Chuck talked with a dealer and found out there is a supercharger for it. I have a hard time seeing it in there though; looking under the hood today I realized just how packed that V8 is in that little space. But HIS car feels much more like my GN did after I put the basic stuff on it. Thats why I say it will hit 13s. Yes brick, the SHOs are FWD(which makes for some wicked burnouts!!!). Enough about SHOs, lets go throw down some more buick talk.....

86'Brick- the Sho's are comparable with the GTP. The GTP takes better to mods and will probably win more races between the two. As well it should considering the technology is a decade newer with a supercharger. The two owners always go back and forth, but the Sho puts out 220hp without a supercharger, compared to the GTP's 240hp with one. Whats more impressive to you? I don't believe that Yamaha had anything to do with the third generation Sho.

cousin sho

my cousin has a maroon 89 sho 5 speed and this thing pulls wit 103,000 miles and a r title he smokes the 3rd generation sho no problem and he hangs wit the cobras and beats the older 5.0 but it is stock wit the nasty honeycomb lookin wheels my opion sho's are sleepers if u catch them off guard!

Yamaha did. Ford sent the parts over seas to yamaha and they assembled, balanced, and calibrated the engines before sending them back here to the US for installation. NOTICE THAT I'M TALKING ABOUT THE V8 SHO and not the V6 SHO!!! Thats from I think 1997- on, not the older ones you are talking about. Read my post dude, I researched the V8 SHO for three months before deciding not to buy one. I'm talking mags, dealers, mechanics, owners, websites, all that stuff. I'm not putting you down, but stop making me out to be a liar.

not calling u a liar in anyway just saying that the older sho's are runners to!maybe the kid in the 98 didnt no how to drive or it was beat on it looked it but so is my cousin's i apologize in anyway if u feel i brought u down? and i read your post my point i was trying to get to is his ran a 15 flat in a quarter and he beat the newer style so that why i wouldnt think they can hit 13 maybe modified!

My bad, let me clarify

6-b-kwik, I wasn't pointing that at you bo. I believe you 100%. But Gn and Shos seems to be ignoring my posts and contradicting everything I type. No hard feelings towards anybody but, lets only talk about buicks from now on.....