All tranny casting letters numbers?

Esasky's85GN

RACE ME WITH WHAT?
Ok guys, Does anyone know what number or letters should be on the bell of a "true" Gn tranny? I am thinking I got shafted when I bought my motor/tranny setup. Motor and Tranny came out of an 84 T-Type. Let me know.

Thanks guys,

Spank

:D

What does your tag have on it?

1983 = 3BR
1984 = 4BQ
1985 = 5BQ
1986 = 6BR
1987 = 7BR

These should be the tag# for the t-type, turbo t and the GN.

Other factory perfromance 200-4r's could be:
Monte Carlo SS: either CQ or CZ
Hurst Olds: OZ or KZ
TTA: 9TA

This is what i have on my lists.

Let me know what is on your tag.

Casting numbers....

I thought he said casting numbers. No, casting numbers dont mean anything. They were made at the Indiana plant and assembled at Three Rivers. It just depended on what shift and what line they were mold casted in at the time. For Id go to the trans tag like others here are describing.

Where should the tag be? I am a diehard Ford -converted to GN man.... Still learning about the GN.

Spank

:D

Are the number above what I am looking for or are there others to tell me that it is the beefed up 200?

Tag location

There should be a metal tag by the trans mount pad on the right side {standing at the back of the trans}.

The paint may of come off if has been rebuilt, but the numbers are stamped in the tag.

The numbers in my earlier post are the good ones to look for, but the right one should be a BQ coded trans.

let us know what the tag says. :)

Update on ID numbers

Guys,

I think I got shafted! Let me know what you think.... here is my ID number:

183-871KTFD367

and on top of tag in big letters:

KTF

I am thinking that this is a 200 R out of a Olds.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Spank

:confused:

Yep its a KT which is 307 olds with 2.93

It's a KT trans which should be out of a 307 olds powered vehicle with 2.93 gears.

UUUGHH!

Does that tranny pretty much suck?

Now I'm bent..!!..!!! and the bad thing is that I bought this tranny off of someone who is reputable......

I have my old one out of the car but I was not planning on rebuilding it right away.......

Any ballpark on pricing for rebuilding of old one. Anyone need a 200 from a 87 307 olds?

Spank

:mad:

they could have put the BQ valve body,governer in it which will but it up to BQ status.

i have one out of an olds in my car now with my BQ parts in it and so far its working just fine

I will see whats is up but what exactly is the difference between the two? Diffetent servo? what about speedodometer calibration. This Tranny is set up for the 2.93 gears...... Is it just as good a the Gn tranny? It just burns me up that this was done.

Spank

Sorry for being so vague

I just noticed all the postings and i noticed that i've been real vauge. Sorry for that. Anyways red and cruiser could be right, it could of had the vb,spacer and governor swapped over from a BQ or BR. Take a look at meanbuicks post of the link, that is what the governor should look like {one big weight, one small weight}.
If it has two big weights, chances are that it's just a regular ol 200-4r.
There are other ways of telling if the VB is correct if the paint markings are gone from the VB.

Ok, this will sound stupid are the weights by the valve body? I know a lot more about manual trannys then automatics.....;)

Behind the Valve Body

When you remove the pan, it's behind the valve body. It's under the cover that is held down with 4 13mm headed bolts towards the back of the trans.