All Buick final

RJ REYNOLDS

A week ago Saturday I entered the Arizona Grudge Racing Assoc 1/8 mile 7.50 Index heads up class and took runner up. I was the number one qualifier and should have won (shoulda, woulda, coulda), but the temp cooled down about 20 degrees between qualifying and the final round, so I took some boost out to avoid breaking out. It turns out I took too much boost out, and despite a holeshot the other racer drove around me and passed me at the finish line. I was furious with myself for making a last minute change.

Fast forward to this past Saturday where I entered Arizona's Fastest Street Cars 1/4 mile 11.50 Index heads up Easy Street class. I again qualified number one. My buddy Dave Johnson was running his beautiful frame off restored 1970 GSX. He built it similar to the N.M.C.A. F.A.S.T. class, but runs a drag radial. We did our best to avoid running each other in the hopes that we could both make it to the final, and that's the way it worked out. Again, the temp cooled down about 20 degrees, but this time I left the boost alone and had a two car lead by half track. I fender raced him to the finish line and took the stripe for the win.

I have one race left in two weeks in the Arizona Drag Racing Assoc and will take the summer off upgrade by roll bar to a roll cage and install my new bullit before the season opens back up in early Sept. I'll post details and pictures of the new engine in a few weeks.

Attachments

• 29516969-S21-12[1].jpg
    29516969-S21-12[1].jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 223

RJ, Outstanding job man! It goes to show,when diled in,leave it alone.:wink:
If your going to play this game. It pays to have a weather station & keep a log of your runs. So you have data to go by. Trying to be consistent with a turbo car is very difficult. Like Raymond said the only thing to change between elimination runs is the dial in based on data & a little luck.

If your going to play this game. It pays to have a weather station & keep a log of your runs. So you have data to go by. Trying to be consistent with a turbo car is very difficult. Like Raymond said the only thing to change between elimination runs is the dial in based on data & a little luck.
If you're running index classes, then you must change the tuneup to keep from breaking out of the index. I had to deal with that this last weekend. Very difficult to do without past data to go by. In fact, on one occasion, after de-tuning the car in hopes of slowing it down to keep from breaking out of the index class during qualifying, it went faster and broke out by .02. :eek: Luckily the tower lost that run data when they were putting together the eliminations ladders and I was able to stay in my planned index class. What luck!

Thanks Guys...I plan on getting a weather station before the season starts back up in Sept. The new setup will have a FAST XFI for data logging, and a Turbo 400 with a trans break for more consistent launches.

Very impressive!

glad to see your getting your car out and enjoying it,
unlike me, who just works on mine ALOT! LOL
congrats RJ , you deserve the rewards!:biggrin:

Thanks Lee,

I'm going to try to make at least one event in Cali after the weather cools off. I hope to meet up with you and others on the board.

RJ

glad to see your getting your car out and enjoying it,
unlike me, who just works on mine ALOT! LOL
congrats RJ , you deserve the rewards!:biggrin:
Cruz, if you were closer I would be all over you to get that car finished.

Lou......

I'm having an issue with the blue car,
#2 cyl is running cooler than all the rest, using a lazer temp gun, at idle
all cyl's are 550 degrees, except #2 which is around 300 degrees,
bring it up against T brake, (approx 2500 rpm) and exh temps go to 750, except #2 which is now 500.
vac is steady @ 15 in, seems to have a miss in it, but that is by sound only.
haven't been able to make any adjustments to FAST unit ,as just got the connectors yesterday,
drove it around the block, slow to spool, (rich) but really comes on and pulls REAL GOOD.
I've changed modules, coils, plugs, wires, inj harness, switched inj locations,
reran the valves, did leak down- 2-3 %, had fast box checked.
all this started when I installed fast box, ( same issue on old motor)

I'm having an issue with the blue car,
#2 cyl is running cooler than all the rest, using a lazer temp gun, at idle
all cyl's are 550 degrees, except #2 which is around 300 degrees,
bring it up against T brake, (approx 2500 rpm) and exh temps go to 750, except #2 which is now 500.
vac is steady @ 15 in, seems to have a miss in it, but that is by sound only.
haven't been able to make any adjustments to FAST unit ,as just got the connectors yesterday,
drove it around the block, slow to spool, (rich) but really comes on and pulls REAL GOOD.
I've changed modules, coils, plugs, wires, inj harness, switched inj locations,
reran the valves, did leak down- 2-3 %, had fast box checked.
all this started when I installed fast box, ( same issue on old motor)

I wonder if you might try moving the cam sensor slightly to affect the injector timing. If you had a sequential Fast you could work with the fuel and timing on that one cylinder. Could it be just a bad spark plug?

Sounds like he already changed the plugs.
Scope the ignition pattern, and the injector signals. That should cover any problems that you might be getting from the FAST unit.
The only other thing I could think of would be that the valve action is not right on that cylinder. Improperly ground cam, lobe going flat, bad lifter, sticking valve.

as much as I don't want to agree...

I thinking the same thing, (cam ground wrong) when I did a leak down, all cyl's were great.
I think I'll do a compression test to see if they are all the same .
I have a "Master tech" scanner, I can display the inj pulse width, and other fancy pictures, I guess thats next.
thanks for the ideas!

I thinking the same thing, (cam ground wrong) when I did a leak down, all cyl's were great.
I think I'll do a compression test to see if they are all the same .
I have a "Master tech" scanner, I can display the inj pulse width, and other fancy pictures, I guess thats next.
thanks for the ideas!
The reason why I suggested scoping the injector signal is because the computer may be commanding the correct PW to all cylinders, but is the same signal actually reaching each injector?
For instance, excessive resistance in one of the leads or connector to the injector of the cylinder your having problems with. The computer could very well be commanding the right PW, but due to the resistance you're not getting full fuel delivery from that injector.
The scanner will only show you that the computer is commanding. Not what the injector is actually getting.

this is the 3rd inj harness

on the car, this was a brand new one from caspers, and I swapped #2 &#5 to see any change, nothing!
I have not been able to look at the fast program due to broken connector on harness, I'll try that next.
thanks for the help

on the car, this was a brand new one from caspers, and I swapped #2 to see any change, nothing!
I have not been able to look at the fast program due to broken connector on harness, I'll try that next.
thanks for the help
The injector harness is a small part of the total injector control system. The injector harness runs clear back to the ECM. Not just to the connector at the main harness. Scoping the harness as close to the injector as possible will capture the whole system, including the ECM. The only connection scoping will not capture is the connector right at the injector. That can be visually checked, and a volt/ohm meter can be used to check that connection if there is still a question.