Alky with FEEDBACK! FINALLY!

PhilM

Präzisionelektronik
Well, I've been getting a lil bored with the same ol stuff on this forum so I figured I'd add a possible interest area:

I've started work a system that has an actual active feedback loop which I surprisingly haven't seen in a system yet! I'm using an industrial stainless pressure transducer that is mounted on the alky pressure line to tell the controller exactly what the alky pressure is. I'm also going to have a lil digital readout for the alky line pressure and flow rate (calculated internally based on total nozzle sizes and pressures) since I could never find a cheap alky compatible pressure gauge! A system like this is analogous to closed loop fueling with an O2 sensor in a standard ECM.

I've always intended my current kit to have this but could never find a reasonable price on a compatible transducer. Well, I've found one, and it's not cheap but it's at least cheap enough for me to start fooling with for one or 2 setups.

The benefits of providing line pressure feedback:

1. Nozzles used are fixed flow (well based on differential pressure which is known) so you can have an actual flow rate that is entering the engine. This means people could now calculate accurate fueling.

2. Final flow rate is NOT solely dependent on the pump motor's speed. Normally progressive controllers (including mine!) modulate motor speed to get some flow rate. While this is effective to some degree, the controller really doesn't know if there is a fault in the pressure line. I use what I call 'binary feedback' in my current controller which is nothing more than a pressure switch. This only tells two states to the controller: yep, there's line pressure, or no, theres not. Also, the pumps wear out over time... both on the pump end and the motor end. This means that over time, shooting the same duty cycle to the motor will result in changed line pressure and correspondingly, flow rate. With feedback telling the controller what the pressure is at any moment in time, it can now detect line faults, clogs, broken lines, bad check valves, and most importantly flow can be maintained over time. Since the pump duty cycle (meh... speed) is BASED of off the desired line pressure, the controller can now automatically adjust the motor speed to obtain the same flow rates needed.

3. Like stated above, now that there's already a pressure reading sent into one of the ADC inputs, we can use it for an accurate electronic alky pressure gauge. Since we already have a MAP input and can easily enter a nozzle size, we can now find an actual alky flow rate, which too, can easily be calculated by the microcontroller! I usually use a mechanical style pressure gauge, but you really don't want one of these on the system at all times and especially you don't want one in the interior compartment. Gauge failures with flammable liquids = fire. The transducer is extremely strong and the wetted components are stainless. There are also burst proof units avail, which come with certs, but these are extremely expensive. A final benefit to having some visible pressure reading is that you can hide the central controller completely... You can put the small readout pretty much anywhere and get the same info as you would from the front panel of a controller.

I don't know if I'm ever going to offer anything like this for sale due to price, but maybe it will open up some more elaborate DIY schemes than the simple ol pressure switch turns on pump deal! One final design I have yet to start is one in which a 'variable nozzle' is used. Now the pump can spin up to some monitored pressure and the orifice changes size from movement of a stepper motor. Steppers are extremely accurate and so long as a step isn't missed they can be repeatable in the < 0.001" range! This type of system will give the most accuracy, but probably approaching too much of the leveling proceeds portion of the accuracy to price plot! Maybe one day for kicks, idk.

I hope to post the progress of the active feedback system here, and/or on my personal website which still isn't up yet!

Phil

This is great! Although I don't have alky on my car I still like to see progress like this!

Phil.. great. Keep us posted on your progress... and results.

I sometimes question a lot of the minutia on trying to get a specific number of flow.. as the nozzle is so upstream from the cylinders it may not make a difference. Unlike EFI that places the nozzle right above the port.

Anything as always can get complicated.. question is if the complexity attains a benefit.

Julio

I think some things can easily be more complex without the general list of issues that ppl think come along with diverging from the simplest solution. To me, this type of system is not complex by any means. Any bugs can be seen and solved in small systems. Price really isn't much more that it would deter me from doing this. At minimal, I'll have a nice pressure gauge!

Is the precision needed? Well, it can't hurt. But this type of feedback isn't only for precision in controlling flow rates... It really aids in diagnosing system errors much faster. Besides the benefit for me is doing something a lil more challenging.

A few of the sensors are currently being made up... I am expected to have them sometime early April. In the meantime, I've been simulating with some general 0-5V sweeps. One thing I have seen, pressure sensors really do stick to their posted pressure-voltage plots!

Phil

I just got the whole FJO Racing alky injection setup and opted for the transducer/feedback setup as well. Haven't installed it yet, but the cool thing is that since I already have the FJO wideband controller there's a cable that hooks the wideband to the alky controller and allows you to use the AFR as a trigger and/or variable input, in conjunction with MAP, TPS or injector pulse. Full datalogging as well with realtime AFR's included.

I'll post some results over the next month or two, since I'm doing some other upgrades as well.

Jim

Whoa! Didn't know someone's already got what appears to be feedback on the alky line... is it actually used for controlling flow rates in operation? I didn't see any explanation of what it is used for other than it's used for closed loop operation.

That's cool they give you log software too, a lot of ppl don't already have DFI datalogging. FJO really seems to have made their setup about as full-featured as anyone would ever need! Two knobs, BAH! :smile: One thing with an alky setup that can't be adjusted without a dang laptop tho... that would kinda bother me, esp, if you already need a PC out, you could technically ignore a controller altogether and drive a pump with the PWM outputs for a map-based nitrous stage in the DFI.

Thanks for the info, very interesting system they have and let us know (please!) how it works for you! Also, if you run the system in closed-loop based off AFR info, then does it also use the pressure input as well? In that case it would seem redundant to have both. I personally wouldn't like to run the system in closed-loop based off wideband. I use wideband for tuning only and run open-loop as much as possible. I also sometimes use it to trim for lean only situations, but using it for leaning an engine to target AFR is not my preferred method - too much relying on the WB sensor.

I'm working on my new site now... hopefully I can have it up shortly...

Phil

I don't know if they actually use feedback from the transducer to alter the pump speed or duty cycle, but all the documentation is available for download at their site.

I picked the FJO setup because I liked the idea of a solenoid controlling the alky flow as opposed to just the pump. This way the pump can be chugging along with the alky pressurized before I use it. I'll probably set it (to begin with) so the pump turns on as soon as I go into >1# of boost and be ready to start injecting around 7# of boost, my previous limit with the old blower (and no knock). And I like the idea of a WBO2 input to the alky injection, for true closed-loop alky control.

Jim

Yea, if they're varying solenoid DC, i'd guess their trasducer wouldn't alter pump speed... it can just alter the solenoid DC.

If it's closed loop (well with WBO2 input), do you have to even tune it?

Phil

Coolingmist also now is playing with the pulsed solenoid idea. The issue is the system keeps the line pressurized at 80 PSI. This is where the bypass springs keep the pressure. So even when you turn the vehicle off.. there is pressure in the lines. The other issue with the solenoid stuff is debris can lodge itself into the pintle area, creating a leak or improper metering..this leak when the vehicle is shut off can be an issue.

Another thing is the diaphram style pumps dont flow in a linear fashion as they "pulse" the fluid. So all this metering stuff.. well... not exactly.

So Phil.. what is cost involved?

I've ordered the sensor for I think 120$... they have a cheaper one but it's less accurate (the 'cheap' one's ONLY 1% FS accuracy :rolleyes: ). They said it'll be ready for me by the end of the month. As far as some readout, I was just going to do a 3 digit 7segment that did different blinking patterns for possible fault indications.

I've been trying to get my site ready to go. Hopefully in the next few days I'll post The Link. I'll have the "Neural Pressure Controller" listed in the projects section. 2manyprojectsnotenoughtime!

The solenoid nozzle is something I'd prolly not do. Too much moving, too many times although I should foot-mouth since a dang fuel injector does the same thing so I'm sure they've cycled it enough that it'll last in this app. I just have never found a compatible HF solenoid that could handle meth n eth. What is the pulsing period for these solenoids they're using? We talking a few Hz or something in the 100's ?

Phil