Alky troubleshoot, HELP!!!!

Brady87GN

OK, installed my Alky kit today, double checked all the wiring and connections. Proceeded to test the kit and when I turned the key to "ON" the pump began to run right away, the green "ON" light stayed lit up the whole time and the "test" button didn't do anything. I started the car and it wouldn't start at first, I figure it was spraying alky the whole time and it got bogged down.

I turned the system off and drove home (installed at a buddys place) and checked everything again. Turn key to "ON" and green light comes on right away and I can hear the pump kick on.

Any thoughts??? Help!!!

A common problem is a bad ground to the MAP sensor (the black wire is not grounded like it should be).

Yup bad/dirty/etc ground on 3 bar map

Unless you installed a 1 bar map instead of a 3 bar

Part number on 3 bar is 12223861. Get a voltmeter and check the green wire. Key ON it should measure 1.6 volts dc. If it doesn't, stop and figure out why

Part of the instructions say to test system "before" putting liquid in the tank. Don't rush because all you do is create problems. These cars are 25 years old and a lot can happen.

Be happy you didn't hydrolock your motor.

Yup bad/dirty/etc ground on 3 bar map

Unless you installed a 1 bar map instead of a 3 bar

Part number on 3 bar is 12223861. Get a voltmeter and check the green wire. Key ON it should measure 1.6 volts dc. If it doesn't, stop and figure out why

Part of the instructions say to test system "before" putting liquid in the tank. Don't rush because all you do is create problems. These cars are 25 years old and a lot can happen.

Be happy you didn't hydrolock your motor.

Yes, I'm happy I didn't hydrolock my motor...

So here is a dumb question: How is the 3 bar grounded?? All I did was replace the old sensor with the new one and replace the vac line and wire harness. What did I miss??

Re-read what was posted.

1) are you sure it's a 3 bar?
2) check voltage with a meter on the sensor
3) troubleshoot your voltage reading....

Somethings you need a multimeter to read voltage. If you don't own one, by it and learn to use it or take the car to a shop that can do this for you.

Again, car is 25 years old.. Stuff happens to wiring, connectors, etc

Re-read what was posted.

1) are you sure it's a 3 bar?
2) check voltage with a meter on the sensor
3) troubleshoot your voltage reading....

Somethings you need a multimeter to read voltage. If you don't own one, by it and learn to use it or take the car to a shop that can do this for you.

Again, car is 25 years old.. Stuff happens to wiring, connectors, etc

I'm hoping it's the 3 bar, it's what I ordered from you!! :biggrin:

I will check the part number to be sure, stuff happens. I used to own a multimeter but I don't have a clue where it is. I can run over to a local garage here and have a buddy check it out for me.

Thanks Julio, your kit is fantastic and a lot easier to install then I thought it would be. Troubleshooting on the other hand... :biggrin:

And you are correct sir, I definitely did rush things.