Alky storage looking for razor

Onalky87

Although I have a smc kit. I no u can help me. Running water threw the pump the only way to do it? The car will b in a non heated garage and will face sub freezing temps. I will be starting the car once a week and letting it run for 15min. During that can I just set the trans brake as to build enough boost (10psi) for the alky to come on so the pump will turn on? Will that stop the pump from going bad? Thanx

Wowww I never thought of that. But ya I could do that instead. So would doing that once a week or so make it so I wouldn't have to run water threw the pump or anything

Alky doesn't freeze. Why would you run water, which will freeze, through the system? Any left in the system will freeze....
I don't do anything for my system and have never had a problem.

In the other threads everyone was saying To run water so the alky don't ruin the pump from just sitting in it

after about 3 years of letting alky sit in my pump its about dead. im going to start running water through it every year it sits.

The issue is it depends on what SMC kit you have. Some of his kits you better not run water through it, others you can.

Contact Steve at SMC for his guidance as I dont want to tech on his product.

What about your system Julio? Should it be drained, or can I just leave the alky in the system over the winter. I'm in a garage that is not heated too.

What about your system Julio? Should it be drained, or can I just leave the alky in the system over the winter. I'm in a garage that is not heated too.

If you cut down the concentration of methanol it can only help. Just keep enough methanol in it so it cant freeze based on temp it is being stored.

You can drain and run washer fluid through it, cut down the concentration, or do nothing. The pumps should last forever in water, 3-4 years in straight meth. Some more, some less.. meth can be pretty tough stuff. I hope you understand. To drain my kit use the test button or jump the map sensor plug gray to green on the plug.

Sorry to bump one of my old threads but how do I no if my alky pump is bad. I did my weekly startup, wait till clt is 160 then prime the system a handful of times. However, other than maybe the first time, the car didn't seem to stumble as much as it usually does in all the past weeks. Like I held the test button for about 3 full secondsand the car did not die. Although it did stumble a little

Temperature can play a role on the smaller pumps. Understand clearances get tighter as the temp drops making it harder for the pump to spin.

Best to do is confirm power to pump, if you get power and no liquid flows.. then you have a bad pump.

if car is stored away from humidity i wouldnt even bother with starting it up , just be sure to pull ecm (orange wire) and crank until oil pressure comes up before trying to fire up , during winter the most i would do is once evry few weeks leave the ecm off and crank till oil pressure is reached to maintain oil film and to rotate the valve springs without firing the car .
in spring change oil and filter and drain tank and use the gas to washout the intercooler and to run your mower or your daily driver , fill up with fresh premium fuel

as for alky system , smc progressive or razors or diy with a shurflow style pump if its going to be a while i'd pull the pump feed , hold test to clear lines pull pump shake it out and store it indoors.
drain any lines and the tank and cover ends so nothing can get in while its stored,

if its the SMC non progressive or diywith a std fuel pump you can drain , pull noszzle line and run straight oil (klotz) through it , come spring flush with your alky klotz mix and reconnect nozzle

Could I push the test button and look at the pressure gauge for it n see what it says and report back? Would that help?

Put windex through your Alky when in storage, the alky will eat your seals, water will just freeze. Putting windex in and it won't freeze cause it has a certain amount of alcohol in it and it won't eat the seals.

Windex has amonia.

Windshield washer fluid doesnt.

Ultimate is to run water through the system and pull the pump like Paul suggested. The water is easier on things it drips on.

If not, leave it alone.

When I push the test button on my alky the gauge jumps to 40lbs then goes up to 75lbs as the motor starts to stumble. Is this normal? It was my understanding that it should only be about 35lbs when primeing it

When I push the test button on my alky the gauge jumps to 40lbs then goes up to 75lbs as the motor starts to stumble. Is this normal? It was my understanding that it should only be about 35lbs when primeing it

Yes, it can be depending where you have the Initial and gain set at. If thats what the car likes.. it is what it is.