Alky Pump Tester....

snyderjw1

Julio, not sure if you are the one that told me about this..is there a way to periodically check the pump to make sure it's putting out the pressure/volume I need...I am to the point if I lose the alchohol during a run I may be in big trouble...:frown:

...car is hooking a little better, went 9.62 @143 at atco today (TAI "Outlaw" run.....:biggrin:) of course the TSO car in the other lane made it look like I was going in reverse!!!

Julio, not sure if you are the one that told me about this..is there a way to periodically check the pump to make sure it's putting out the pressure/volume I need...I am to the point if I lose the alchohol during a run I may be in big trouble...:frown:

...car is hooking a little better, went 9.62 @143 at atco today (TAI "Outlaw" run.....:biggrin:) of course the TSO car in the other lane made it look like I was going in reverse!!!

9.62@143 you sir are at the top of the food chain :D

Ohh btw was this on 93 or racegas/mix?

Can you post the timeslip details pretty please :D

Ohh btw was this on 93 or racegas/mix?

Can you post the timeslip details pretty please :D

Julio..I still had the Citgo 93 in the tank (from reynolds) but I was about 50 lbs lighter.....

60' 1.464
330 4.052
1/8 6.194
mph 114.35
1000 8.048
1/4 9.623
mph 143.28

Attachments

• Atco Launch.jpg
    Atco Launch.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 867
Man, I thought it would be a while before we saw those times.

Are you going to share some more info about the combo? ;) Stock or ported GN1s? Timing/Boost? Stroker? Thats a good 60ft on DRs. I gotten some 1.4s but it doesn't seem consistent enough so I'm going to slicks. Also, what is your fuel setup? For that mph I would assume a big external pump with some big hoses?

Congrats on the slip, thats flying. I was also thinking about getting one of those alky pump testers......

Jaw just dropped :eek:

That is getting it done on a drive anywhere car. Simple too.. thats the beauty.

Man, I thought it would be a while before we saw those times.

Are you going to share some more info about the combo? ;) Stock or ported GN1s? Timing/Boost? Stroker? Thats a good 60ft on DRs. I gotten some 1.4s but it doesn't seem consistent enough so I'm going to slicks. Also, what is your fuel setup? For that mph I would assume a big external pump with some big hoses?

Congrats on the slip, thats flying. I was also thinking about getting one of those alky pump testers......

Murphster, I have noticed the same with the DR's....I made three runs...one I aborted due to driver/shifter error, the second was the one I posted the slip/picture, and the third was a 2.0 60' 10.4@139.... so I am not sure if the DR's are helping or hurting me...I may also try a set of slicks for nothing more than being more consistent...

as for the combo, it really isn't that unusual....I have ported GN1's, 27 lbs. boost, 20 degrees timing, single in tank 340, 83lb. injectors, Razor's Alky kit, stock crank and rods, billet center caps...the car has gone a lot faster than I had anticipated when I built the motor three years ago, and I realize I am pushing it on some of these parts... my plan is to do some upgrades over the winter... mainly on fuel system and shortblock.

Man, thats killer. I was expecting some outrageous combo. Thats gives me confidence that it can done, at least. I wasn't sure if anything past high 9s was just a time bomb on alky but you pretty much blew right past that.

Thats some low timing. Are you keeping it low throughout the rpm range during the run or does it step up after a gear change (ie do you add timing in the low/mid 5000s)? I don't know the typical FAST timing vs rpm tables. Seems like keeping the timing low for these fast times may be the way to go. I didn't seem to pick up much by adding timing in my white T, and my GN ran its best time with 21 degrees timing throughout the run on a TT chip.

I just can't hit it hard with the DRs. I babied it last time out for a 1.50, but thats barely leaving on the converter. Some of it could be my suspension setup, etc, but its probably easier to try slicks than to get my setup dialed in 100% on DRs. If I can hit it hard on slicks its going to fly out of the hole.

Congrats again. The bar is definitely raised.

M10 & M15 nozzles? What was the injector duty cycle? Stock fuel lines? That thing is really flying! Congrats again!

Well for a minute there I thought I was going to do something...Never mind now:biggrin: What a great way to spend 9.63 seconds.

What turbo are you running?

I have ported GN1's, 27 lbs. boost, 20 degrees timing, single in tank 340, 83lb. injectors, Razor's Alky kit, stock crank and rods, billet center caps...the car has gone a lot faster than I had anticipated when I built the motor three years ago, and I realize I am pushing it on some of these parts... my plan is to do some upgrades over the winter... mainly on fuel system and shortblock.

wow you just made me xxzz in my shorts, 9.6 on a single pump with razors kit is AWESOME!!! I knoe your flooded with questions now, but are there any mods to the crank or rods? IE: polish, magnflux, knife edge, thanks!

congratz

i think its in his sig

Hey I love people who ask questions when it is public knowledge,

Anyway what sparkplug do you run.. I am interested in the heat range.

I am running a NGK 6 range. Because O-rileys and company does not stock the 7s.

Your motor must be steadily pulling RPM through the traps. What RPM are you shifting at. It must have been a perfect pass.

I think I am supplementing my lack of fuel with some alchohol...as I am close to 100% dc on the 83lb injectors..so I think the stock fuel lines/filter/etc. may be maxed out with the single pump...with the 66 turbo I was only at about 85%...so this is a new "problem" since going over 140...I am about 6500rpm through the lights.

It's not that I haven't had my "issues". we had to replace #3 piston and rod (sound familiar) the day before leaving for BG this year..I think I hurt that one on a chassis dyno....

We ran a 10.39 down in BG with the 66mm turbo, came home, put a cage in it (which took all summer) took it back to Cecil ran a couple low 10's at 131, put the new billet on and instantly ran a 9.92 at 142...with too much boost. Went to Reynolds, ran my best, a 9.85 down there, so I only have 3 runs in the 9's...out of 7 or 8 attempts...so I am not too consistent.

I have played with timing a little but I attribute the piston damage to an overly aggresive timing/boost combo...most of my testing has been trying to launch the car so it would et close to what the mph indicated it should run.

I use ac43 plugs...the crank is basically 10/10 under and balanced with assembly..nothing special, rods are stock, pistons are .020 over JE's...I am surprised it is all still in one piece...probably due to limited racing this year.

So that's the summary of my first full year playing with alchohol and attending some Buick events...I think the shortblock has about had it after 2-3 years of experimenting...so I look forward to freshening and beefing it up for next year...this board has been invaluable in getting me up to speed....and for some humor along the way.

That is impressive, very nice run congrats, oh yeah I have an extra copy of that timeslip if you need one:biggrin: