Alky plus higher octane fuel for track?

rssooner

Hello. First thanks for reading.

I am always pretty safe at the track and in the past I have raced with Alky and C16. Obviously it is much harder to tune and runs very rich. Would it be better to just run a higher octane unleaded (say 110 octane) instead of leaded 116? I'm just trying to save head gaskets.

Thx
RS

If your running c16...ZERO reason to run alky. What is your ET goal? You have nothing in your signature so we have no clue what you have done.

93 and alky...good hook...good combo and good tune can go far.

If you have a stock location IC, alky can definitely help with heat soak when making multiple passes in the heat. That was the biggest improvement for me when I first went to alky on my dutt neck IC. If you were logging inlet temps in the plenum you would know for sure and could compare with and without alky. Or just compare timeslips on multiple passes without alky. If it gets slower on each successive run theres your answer.....

If you're having head gasket issues I would figure out what the problem is. If you are worried about head gaskets I would leave the car close to the factory settings. I disagree the engine would be harder to tune with high octane fuel that was poured in out of a sealed drum. You'd know exactly what you are pouring in and the baseline wouldn't vary much. The timing and a/f targets would not need as much safety margin built in. Anything out of a pump is a crap shoot and the timing would need to be dialed back to accommodate garbage fuel. I wouldn't personally switch fuel only at the track unless you have some data to go off of. 116 octane by itself won't detonate and you could eliminate the added variable of supplemental fuel. Id pick on or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found that my car ran like crap with C16 and Alky... My car strictly drives on 12 or 16, I just never felt safe with pump gas... My car seems to run the best Alky on #2 or #3 and c16 in the summer.. Good Question