ALKY Mixture

S

system1

I posted this in the Alcohol, Nitrous and Propane Tech but did not get any response

I just had ALKY installed and I am running about 20 on the boost. 50/50 mixture ALKY / water. 0 knock and o2s a little rich in the 830s started to dial back the flow. Now I have seen 795 on the o2s and around 3 on the knock. If I change the mixture to 70/30 ALKY / water will that help the knock and not make it any richer?

Your going to have to test with diff mixtures find out what your car likes.My car likes straight alcohol:) I have tried diff mixtures and my car performs best with just alcohol.Hope this helps.Do a search on alcohol section and you will find guys useing diff mixtures.

Just run straight denatured or methanol.

Denatured is $9.99 a gallon at Home Depot. You can get methanol at any race track for about $2.50 a gallon. Methanol cools better too.

Originally posted by justabuickv6
Just run straight denatured or methanol.

I would NOT recommend running straight alcohol...

1) It is HIGHLY corrosive and it WILL corrode a lot of your parts. I run 70/30 (meth/water) if I wanna run a REALLY fast number but usually 30/70 (meth/water) on the street just to prevent too much corrosion.

2) There is a HUGE benefit to the water too...it has a "buffering" effect to cool the chamber and control detonation.

Kev :)

I know methanol is corrosive, but I didn't know denatured alcohol was. Are you sure of that?

I called Steve at SMC and he told me to run straight Alcohol. As always thanks for the feedback. It looks like a brewing argument over corrosion.

No argument, it's corrosive. All this stuff is to one degree or another. Water is too. I am willing to trade off some system maintenance because of corrosion to get better performance. Everything else on this car requires maintenance why shouldn't this
;)

During the SEMA show, I talked to the guys a AquaMist about this very subject. They felt that straight water worked best. I pressed them on it because I have found straight alky to work best. They then stated it all comes down to combinations. Because alky has a lower flash point it may actually work better in a turbo system that has (reactively speaking) low intake temps. If you have a car that generates a lot in intake temps (stock turbo/intercooler, etc) you my find that water or some combination of water/alky works best. We didn't get into any specifics because there are so many variables. You just have to experiment.