alcohol report from a 408ci motor. whats next?

parish8

did some testing. first thing i did was drain all the race fuel out of my truck. then filled it up with 92 octane.

then i made a few runs with just the pump gas. the lowest boost i could run was 11psi and i had to put the timing all the way down to 13deg to get no KR. the gtech showed 520rwhp. IAT's starting at 72deg and going to 99deg in the 1/8th mile.

i didn't feel like messing around too much so i just turned the meth to MAX then started pulling fuel, it took a long time to get the fuel dialed back in. probably made 10+ 1/8th mile runs to get it where i wanted it. same 11psi, same 13deg and same no KR. the gtech showed 540rwhp. IAT's starting at 74deg and going to 77deg.

finialy i turned it up. i got up to 16psi and 17deg before i got any KR. i pulled it back to 16deg and kept it at 16psi and made a run. gtech showed a peak of 610rwhp but was mostly around 580rwhp. no KR. IAT's went from 70deg to 74deg .

then i did a full 1/4 mile run at this setting and it pulled a gtech corrected 11.1@124mph with a not so great 1.8 60'. IAT going from 71deg up to 75deg.

seems to work prety good but i am not going to say it works as good as race fuel. i was able to run 16psi and 19deg with about 105octane in there. last week at the track i was around 110 octane and ran a knock free 16psi+100shot at 16deg. i dont think i could do that with the alky and probably wont try. it does make for a prety stout street set up. i forgot to turn the speed based boost back on and hit it from a 20roll and it riped all 4 loose.

this truck is a durable. i put at least 20 1/8th mile runs on it tonight. i used up almost 1/2 tank of fuel . i do stuff like this all the time.

now.... that is my meth report. what is next? my turbo is maxed or i would play with more boost and timing settings. i have a pt88 going on in a week or two so i will have some room to play with that eventualy.

i am running razors kit with the 15 nozle. how much meth could i run and be sure of no puddleing in the intake? is there any reason not to run more meth and retune? i have a 4 gallon cell so running out is not much of a concern .

There are ways to increasing the delivery on the system. And any knock activity can be cured with adding alcohol. The blue knob is one dimension, you still have the "Initial" knob inside the controller which increases delivery, as well as the option to add "more" nozzles to increase delivery.

See the issue is you started seeing knock activity and started pulling back on the straps.. what that tells me is the system is close but needs more volume to get the knock out of the way and allow additional timing/boost. You only want to run just enough alky to make the motor not knock. Whatever that amount is??? Your close :)

Looks like your getting the hang of it.. now what???... lets tweak the delivery and get more out of the system.

IAT's in the 70's.. not bad.. ;)

There is some modding information I wont post. Drop me a call and i'll take you to the next level :D

i understand the only add as much as i need to kill the knock. i just came at it from the other direction. i added all the meth i could and then added timing/boost till i got knock. prety much the same thing.

as it stands now i dont think there is too much left in it. on the dyno i ran up to 25deg of timing and from 20 up to 25deg i gained no power. since my turbo is maxed and i am up to 16deg of timing about all i have left is to try and get that last 4deg that did help on the dyno, maybe another 20-30hp :)

i am running a lot of cubes. right now i am around 90lb's of air and will be steping up to 110-120lb's of air prety soon. i dont want to worry about any puddleing in the intake and the uneven meth distrubution that might follow. with that in mind i would like to step up to the max amount of meth flow that can be 100% turned into vapor.

there are some prety strong opinions on meth. one guy says it will nearly take the place of c16 and another says not to trust it as a fuel source because it can shut off and blow up your motor:rolleyes: , seems to me i am counting on many systems to all work corectly for my motor to stay together.

i have another question about tuning with a wideband and meth but need to go do a search and will start a new thread if i dont find what i need.

nice kit razor, everything seems very high quality. btw, whats the most hp made with your kit on any engine? i have a feeling 800rwhp is coming soon on pump gas and your kit.

You have a project.. start at the end work your way forward or vice versa :)

Your motor is like a giant vacuum cleaner at high rpms.. there is zero puddling, altho once you get to that 30% fuel replacement land... distribution starts becomeing a problem. With a single nozzle, you'll never hit that number. On twins.. then its when the fun begins. But like all things.. you have to start somewhere.

If the motor at 11:1 makes the same power as it does at 12:1..then no point in leaning it out to 12:1.. just need to guage what AFR makes what power and make tuning decisions. Same goes for timing...

On a single nozzle, I believe the number is around the 800 RWHP turbo LSI. On a dual.. have a few small tire cars that havent been able to hold traction on the rollers. Dougs C5 vert trapped like 144 on pump gas and alky. 3500 lb car.

I'm in the process on making a system for a twin turbo BBC.. should make 1500 on pump gas detuned ;) .. get this.. its on an air boat :eek: Placing an add... adventurous individuals wanted to assist in dialing in the alky kit :D

Thanks for the compliments, the systems have been dead on, but in racing.. your fuel pump, ignition, etc take a dive.. you can gernade the motor. Something simple as the little hose going to the fuel pressure regulator pops off...

hey razor, i would call you but i cant talk right now, some kind of cold or something, my voice just doesn't work.

looking at my logs i can see where my duty cycle at my initial low boost setting went from 50% down to 45% after turning the meth all the way up and retuneing.

that would sugest to me i am only at 10% fuel replacement. there is probably another way to calculate this if we look at the alky presure and orifice size and compare that to total fuel flow.

8 110lb injectors(95 actual but at 60lb's base presure) runing at 50% = 440lb/hr of fuel. now drop that to 45% and i get 396lb/hr. to i replaced about 44lb/hr of fuel.

if i understand this right i am likly adding about twice that amount of alky? maybe around 80lb/hr?

where does all this lead you ask? i just want to know how much meth i can run before i get into distrubition problems and thought some of these numbers might help you tell me that.

You'll be able to run a lot more boost on pump gas with the 88 on there, the small T4 exhaust really chokes up a big motor like that. Going from a 1.00 to a 1.32 housing on a friends 414/T76 Q-trim setup netted us, get this, 65 RWHP! When we swapped to a .96 PT88 the turbo actually spooled better on the street because the motor wasn't stumbling over itself with the rediculous exhaust back pressure, which was as high as 4:1 at points! I'm going to say you'll need a lot less alky to control knock with the big turbo.