Alcohol questions

ATOMMYD

I am considering adding alcohol injection to my 87 GN everything has just been redone. Complete motor,tranny,and suspension rebuild along with full leather interior and had inside dyed in all black and silver. replaced the dash and made everything all dakota digital dash.(very cool setup they have)replaced sound system with Z-1. Getting ready to go to paint and before I do I am thinking about adding the alcohol injection system because I dont want to have to always have race fuel in the car. It is a weekend driver or at least that is my hope. My concern is I have seen the alcohol ignite and it does not want to go out after it lights up. if you have a front end collision and that alcohol sprays on the exhaust will the car really be the BOMB :biggrin:? This has been a project car for me and my son for the past 3 years and I want it to be safe if he is in there. Anyone do any fire supression for this issue? I wanted to devise a way to remove the tank when out on the road. Any thoughts? Or come up with a safer alternative. Maybe there is a system thats not as flamable? Any sugestions would be helpfull.
Thanks in advance

I am considering adding alcohol injection to my 87 GN everything has just been redone. Complete motor,tranny,and suspension rebuild along with full leather interior and had inside dyed in all black and silver. replaced the dash and made everything all dakota digital dash.(very cool setup they have)replaced sound system with Z-1. Getting ready to go to paint and before I do I am thinking about adding the alcohol injection system because I dont want to have to always have race fuel in the car. It is a weekend driver or at least that is my hope. My concern is I have seen the alcohol ignite and it does not want to go out after it lights up. if you have a front end collision and that alcohol sprays on the exhaust will the car really be the BOMB :biggrin:? This has been a project car for me and my son for the past 3 years and I want it to be safe if he is in there. Anyone do any fire supression for this issue? I wanted to devise a way to remove the tank when out on the road. Any thoughts? Or come up with a safer alternative. Maybe there is a system thats not as flamable? Any sugestions would be helpfull.
Thanks in advance

This has been brought up before and answered. The methanol will be in a tank and is no more dangerous than fuel under the hood and fuel lines. There is a fire wall between the engine compartment and the passenger area.
Razor at Alkycontrol has several threads here on this board where he has addressed this concern. To date there have been no reports of anyone having a problem.

Lots of flammable fluids on your car. Including a 18 gallon gas tank, 3 gallons of transmission fluid, one gallon of engine oil, and even brake fluid will combust.. the alky system adds one gallon to the equation above.. and will only ignite if direct fire is put to it..

Guess thats why there is a firewall on the car.. if your concerned about risk, then racing should'nt be done. Actually driving shouldnt be done. Or eating fast food :D

The alky systems are only under pressure when racing not driving around.. so if a leak occurred, typically it goes straight down.. and if there is an engine fire.. I think you will have to be concerned with a lot more than potentially one gallon of methanol under the hood.

As long as I have been in business, and researching these types of setups, I can not ever recall anyone ever having a methanol fire from a collision. I have heard of fires using plastic tubing that broke on DIY type systems.. and I guess thats an issue brought upon by carelessness.

And... I have sold tanks, lines, pumps.. that have been damaged during collisions on multiple occassions.. No fires..

Can the tank ignite if fire is put to it.. yes. Guess its always a decision.. as Life is.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the alchy.
Thanks again