Alcohol Injection Nozzle selector

rocket468

Alcohol Nozzle size Calculator
This should give you an idea what size nozzle you need with all the alcohol Injection kits out there. Even an DIY kit. This is still kinda a beta on the figures so if anyone could give me feed back I would greatly appreciate it. You can save the file to a txt file and post it or email me so i can tweak the numbers.

Thanks

At what pressure?

And assummes how much boost over stock? Example a 3.8 turbo regal can run 16 PSI stock out of the factory. Yet a 3.8 series II cannot.

So compression plays a role, intake temp, IC or not, etc..

I think I know what your trying to do, but there are tooo many dynamics involved. The goals being the prelim.

Give you an example.. You get an LS1 that can make 750 RWHP on 93 octane at 13 PSI without detonation.. and only wants to add a little meth for insurance.. a 10 GPH nozzle would be plenty. Or you have an LS1 at 630 RWHP picking up a boat load of knock and running out of injector.. a motor like this can handle 25 GPH worth of nozzle no problem.

Two engines.. due to heads, cam, airflow, etc make different HP and different goals. This is where expertise tuning them comes to play.

huh

I would just call a proven installer & tuner of alcohol injection systems for my nozzle selection.

At what pressure?
Umm, doesn't matter. It needs that amount of fluid over the course of an hour... 1 gallon of meth in a milk jug is still a 1 gallon even if its under pressure. So people need to be aware of the pressure they will have with a given pump size, nozzle size, etc. I didn't want to say use a 10gph nozzle, base on our pressures our Pump "which we are the only one that can buy" our hose etc. I wanted to leave it generic, so it can benfit people using other systems. I still need to add more to this to make the @ pressure thing clear.

This caculator uses forumlas to guetamate heat produced. Generally you have x amount of heat for ever 1psi compressed air. But some are more effecent.
I plan to add more to this on terms of effecy of a compresser. This will never be 100% accurate. This will not give you an accurate value if your trying to replace fuel with meth. This is trying to give you the value to bring your AIT to ambedent temps. I hope you see where i am going.

The more feeback i get from people the more inputs i will add and the more accurate i can make it.

How bout making it an air temp vs air flow.

Like 1000 cfm or air needs to be dropped 35 degree's? This requires "x" amount of methanol..

Based on formulas we can arrive at the 1000 CFM number. Then based on formulas should be able and arrive at the amount needed.

Amount needed = size of nozzle x pressure

This assummes a person has an intake temp sensor :)

I think it should be made clear that calc should only be used for those trying to determine how much charge cooling they are after.

Reducing the AIT is only one piece of the puzzle. Even if you have ambient, or ambient-10degF air entering the motor, that doesn't ensure you will be detonation free. You still need increase octane even if you have ambient, or below ambient IATs...thats where the additional methanol above and beyond what goes into vaporizing the intake air comes to play.

Example-- lets say you spray only enough methanol to reduce the AIT. Ok, the methanol is vaporized in the intake, you still use mostly 93 oct in the chamber, at 30psi...is that going to be enough to ward of detonation? Probably not. How about at 20psi? Maybe. To Julio's point, a car that is 8.5:1 CR, good combustion chambers that can run 18psi on pump gas, isn't going to need a whole lot of methanol to run just 20psi. But a car that can only get away with 10psi on straight 93, is going to need more methanol to run 20psi.

I think a better rule of thumb, is to establish a baseline meth/petrol ratio. That tells you exactly how much methanol got going, independant of airflow, etc. Saying 10gph doesn't tell very much of the story, because if you have 10gph of fuel, that means you are at 50/50 meth/gas... but if you have a higher power motor which takes 20gph of fuel, now you are at 25/75.

[EDIT: I don't have a buick] Personally...I jet my meth system so I'm at 35/65 meth/petrol percent-- that is to say, if I target a specific AFR on just gas, when the meth system comes on I remove 35% out of my fuel tables, and that works well for me below 30psi based on my plug chops, knock readings, etc. Thers no question, you will make more power the more methanol you replace with fuel (compare a full methanol car to the same car running just racegas)... what keeps us from just jetting up so high and shutting down our fuel inj? We rely on equal distribution to all 4/6/8 cylinders with just 2 jets before the intake...and when you have 2 immisciable fluids flowing in the intake thats not meant to flow liquid to begin with, in that proportion..interesting things happen. ;) However when the meth is mostly vaporized in lower quantities, its a non issue.