Air Temp Sensor reads HOT!!

blown okie

Chuck Norris Approved
was driving the car today making sure everything is in order( at least as much as it ever is :D) and enjoying the new trans.. and did a 65mph to about a 100+ mph blast and was running through the scanmaster readings (which i don't usually have the time to do just stayed glued on 02's and knock) and noticed that the ATS sensor just read HOT as apposed to a temp number as usual.. was amused by this.. rolled back through the scanner numbers on the decell from this blast and the first number that i saw was 126 degrees.. i thought wow!! anyways .. the ATS is in my up pipe as i think this is a more accurate spot to take the temp from and i realize im stuffing about 500 hp of air into a 400 hp intercooler and know this doesn't help things.. but at what temp does it start reading HOT instead of a temp number and i thought i remember hearing on here before that erics turbo tweak chips ignore ATS for tuning parameters is this true.. should i care.. combo is in sig. anything else ask.. TIA :)

I think it reads hot over about 150 degrees.

TurboBob would know for sure, check over at the FullThrottle Perfomance bulletin board for the owners manual file and download it, the exact info. may be in that or a thread there.

was driving the car today making sure everything is in order( at least as much as it ever is :D) and enjoying the new trans.. and did a 65mph to about a 100+ mph blast and was running through the scanmaster readings (which i don't usually have the time to do just stayed glued on 02's and knock) and noticed that the ATS sensor just read HOT as apposed to a temp number as usual.. was amused by this.. rolled back through the scanner numbers on the decell from this blast and the first number that i saw was 126 degrees.. i thought wow!! anyways .. the ATS is in my up pipe as i think this is a more accurate spot to take the temp from and i realize im stuffing about 500 hp of air into a 400 hp intercooler and know this doesn't help things.. but at what temp does it start reading HOT instead of a temp number and i thought i remember hearing on here before that erics turbo tweak chips ignore ATS for tuning parameters is this true.. should i care.. combo is in sig. anything else ask.. TIA :)

Really not surprising that you see such high temps, running that much motor behind a stock IC!!:eek: Might be time for an upgrade
I don't think any of the chips use the temp sensor much, but if you ever decide to step up to speed density, you'll want to get the temps WAY down!! Since speed density needs three things to work: inlet (manifold) temp, engine speed (rpm), and manifold pressure (MAP), to calculate VE

I was just working on a car that the sm said hot too. Ended up being a cut wire to the sensor. I'd pin out the resistance at the ecm or try replacing the sensor. If my memory is right the iat is b5 at the ecm.

This car read hot at idle. Check your idle reading. If it also reads hot then its probably the same problem. If its normal at idle then I'd say your ic is not enough.

I was just working on a car that the sm said hot too. Ended up being a cut wire to the sensor. I'd pin out the resistance at the ecm or try reacing the sensor. If my memory is right the iat is b5 at the ecm.

This car read hot at idle. Check your idle reading. If it also reads hot then its probably the same problem. If its normal at idle then I'd say your ic is not enough.

He had already stated in the original post that the temp came down to 126 during decel.

On my car with a pressure transducer hooked up to log boost with direct scan, it will show hot at idle up to 1psi. boost then it is calibrated to read lower temps. while under boost.

Not the same scenario as posted but possibly another cause of HOT at idle that may be modified wiring for some other purpose, since those temps. aren't used in most chips but needed as Dave said with speed density setups.

Might as well put all potential causes of odd readings in one thread.

thanks for all the replies guys.. i know the car needs a different intercooler.. along with several other things